Both a/c break down at the same time??

What is going on? I had 2 air conditioners (Rheem 3t) installed last October.

Last Friday the first one bit the dust and Saturday the other one failed completely. How is this possible with independent units??

While the a/c were running, they stopped dead: The fans (separate circuits) keep running but the condensers just sit there, dead.

I checked the fuses at the units, I tripped and reset the circuit breakers, I waited an hour and tried again, to no avail.

What can cause 2 units to stop working at nearly the same time? Is there anything I can do before the service people come out on Tuesday? We are right in a heat wave with temps around 105.

Reply to
Walter R.

Did you check to see if there is power getting to the units? Just because the breakers are closed does not mean you actually have power to the condensing units. That where I would start. You said the fans still run. Do they go off and on with the thermostat when set to "Auto?"

Al

Reply to
Big Al

If the conditions are right and the units working overtime, ice can build up around the compressors causing them to fail. Two days ago my ten year old window unit was blowing hot air. Because it is old, I assumed it finally gave up the ghost. I turned it off and tried again about two hours later.....no use.

Then right before I left to go to Home Depot for a new one, I tried one last time. It worked great. It's been working great since then. Look for ice build up around the compressor an or the coils. If you see ice, smile, a little thaw and you may be good to go.

Good Luck, Randy R. Cox

Reply to
Randy Cox

Yes, the fans were running in compliance with the thermostats. The power (235 V) is available right into the unit.

Could this be a refrigerant (Freon) problem. Maybe a leak, or an insufficient charging with Freon at the time of installation? But, 2 separate units?

Does an a/c turn off the power if it senses that it has insufficient Freon?

Reply to
Walter R.

If it has a low pressure switch the control low voltage will be opened. Do they have manual reset buttons?

Are the control contactors' not closing, "due to no low control voltage?" Do those units use two control voltage transformers for each system? Did you check all the breakers in case the TRs are on a separate breaker, (it would be strange).

It is unusual for both to quit on the same day.

- udarrell - Darrell

Reply to
udarrell

Both at nearly the same time, huh? When you say fans, do you mean the inside fans?

Hmmmmmmm.

Let's see....

Well........

No, it isn't that.

How about.... No, not that either.

Did you look at ? Not that either.

I'm willing to bet they are 12 SEER units, with a model number of ****-*** JAZ, right?

Not JBZ as the last 3, but JAZ, right?

Head pressure switch. Manual reset because the coils are nasty, filthy dirty and clogged with all sorts of crap.

Clean your coils and cut the grass back from around the condensers.

Just a thought.

Reply to
HeatMan

Perhaps you had a voltage surge.