Bosch Laser Rangefinder

After a few days use of the Bosch DLR 165 Rangefinder, I'm convinced that it deserves a place with the trusty Fat Max measuring tape. The nice digital readout is great for compensating for age related eyesight difficulties or memory problems. Main reason I bought one is because I have been cutting an occasional board exactly 1" too short and after climbing down off a ladder can't remember the exact tape measurement I just made. It may be something of a crutch for us old timers, but for you young bucks it could also be a real time saver. The length, area, and volume are really nice for laying out framing. The inside measurement feature is great for getting rough openings to behave. Doesn't take much of a learning curve. Only took me a half hour to master the controls, so you texting geniuses can probably do it in a minute. Sources are the usual, Amazon, CPO Bosch, maybe some box stores. The wallet pain vs. utility factor is quite good, i.e., there are a lot more expensive and less handy tools out there.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I cut a piece of white plastic laminate and glue it to the side of my tape measure. It makes a dandy place to write down measurements and it erases easily.

RicodJour

*How's the accuracy Joe. I do a lot of measuring on ceilings and the tape measures can be a pain. I use a FatMax as well, but even with the 13' extension it doesn't always stay up. I wish they would put measurements on the backside as well.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Like to know how accurate it is to. I do lots of crown molding and an accurate measuring device would be handy. Not sure it would ever be as accurate as a tape, just easier. I usually will get in the middle of wall and measure to each side, then add it up.

Reply to
evodawg

Good idea, your own little whiteboard. It's one of those things that should be a feature on all tape measures.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"BILLY MAYS HERE, FOR THE Measure-n-Write!"

Reply to
DT

John, my first tests were spot on for some fire stops between studs. The DLR said 13 7/16" so i marked it off with a nice knife mark and cut it a bit on the heavy side, maybe 1/32". And it was too tight! Shaved off the excess (Fat Max said it was now 13 7/16") for a nice snug fit. Made a believer of me. With the ability to do rough opening diagonals accurate to 1/16" I can see a lot less wasted time on future windows and doors. Similarly, the aggravation of trying to deal with, say 25' to 30' layouts for partitions will be eliminated. Floor to ceiling measurements should be a snap. Right now, I'm planning on going over the latest project floor plan to get really accurate data to put into a Sketchup plot so bath and plumbing work won't be so tedious.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Ohmygosh, never thought about crown molding. The DLR ought to be perfect for large rooms. The range is 165' with +or- 1/16" at that distance, so the unit could pay off in labor and less waste in just a few jobs. IMO, it doesn't give up very much to a tape for accuracy.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

[...]

*Thanks Joe. I looked it up on the Bosch web site. 1/16" +/- is impressive. That works for me.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Please, shoot me now.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Have you watched Pitchmen on Discovery channel? Billy is quite the character. The show give some insight as to how the whole thing works and he actually tests the products he hawks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

well that convinced me, I'm getting one.

Reply to
evodawg

If you like that, also check out the Hilti PD series. The PD42 is more accurate and has a substantially greater range. Downside - it also costs more. Their PD4 is about the equivalent of the Bosch with a bit better range and similar accuracy.

RicodJour

1/16 should be fine for what I need it to do. Lots of crown, molding, wainscot, and TV Cabinets inside alcoves or niches. Measuring crown from wall to wall is a pain and with this I can see lots of time savings and 1/16" accuracy is perfect. I do like Hilti's quality, have one of their hammer/chipper drills. Thanks for the tip on the Hilti... I'll take a look at it.
Reply to
evodawg

While I'm spending your money for you, let me toss in this tidbit:

It's the Leica DISTO D3 and it has a lot of nifty features. I want one, so buy two, please. My birthday is in August. I'll act surprised. ;)

RicodJour

It's the Leica DISTO D3 and it has a lot of nifty features.

Didn't Leica make camera's? Remember my Dad had a few, he use to work for National Geographic and a couple of other rags. I hadn't heard that name in a long time. Quick search shows they still make camera's, good remember at one time they were one of the best. My eye is on the Bosch. When Harbor Freight comes out with one I'll surprise you.

Reply to
evodawg

Billy Mays is just TOO enthusiastic. The other irritating hawker is the ShamWow guy, he reminds me of one of Joe Foreman's cartoon characters, (Joe Cartoons) because he has one eye bigger than the other.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That guy reminds me of Eddie Haskel from Leave it to Beaver! The ultimate CON!

Reply to
evodawg