Bosch DLX series dishwasher doesn't dry...

We have had a Bosch dishwasher for several years now, and I swear it used to dry dishes quite well. I mean, you'd get a bit of residual water in the dimple bottom of an overturned glass, but nothing major.

In the past few months, it has degraded to leaving large amounts of condensation on the sides of the dishwasher and almost all the dishes are wet.

From some research, I find that there is no "dryer" per se in the unit. The final water temps for this dishwasher are supposed to be around 160F, and the heat absorbed by the dishes is supposed to make them dry once the water is pumped out. We haven't changed our water heater settings in years, and I don't believe the dishwasher has an auxiliary heater, so I can't understand why the gradual loss of drying ability.

I know these are supposed to be energy conserving "Euro" style appliances, but warm + moist doesn't equal sanitary in my books.

Anybody been down this path and know how I can get this unit back to working correctly? While I am disappointed with the drying issue, I am not willing to accept the "land fill" solution quite yet.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
gwandsh

You'll have to explain how the water gets to 160F if there is no auxiliary heater. Tap water at 160F would be scalding hot. You''ll have to open the door during the middle of the cycle and stick a thermometer into the wash water and see if it is hot or not and then proceed from there.

Reply to
hrhofmann

first consumer reports its the worst reliable dishwasher sold.

My experience with BOSCH, near ANYTHING that needs fixed requires disassembling the entire unit, only easily replaced part is the fill valve everything else is in the bathtup parts are super expensive and few service people work on them.

most likely Sears is the only service company in your area

you will likely find the cost of repair exceeds the cost of a new dishwasher.

I replaced mine several years ago, whirpool is far better than bosch, parts and service common and easily availble at reasonable cost.

Reply to
hallerb

That is simply NOT true. Consumer Reports rates Bosch in the top half of all brands for reliability. In fact, in their most recent test, the top rated dishwasher is a Bosch. Please don't post made up statistics. I currently have a 5 year old Bosch that is the quietest dish washer I have ever owned. And, it has never had a problem.

Reply to
greenpjs

Then its rating has changed TOTALLY in the last couple years. consumer reported it first in cleaning ability and dead last in reability

Reply to
hallerb

I just looked it up yesterday right before I posted my response. Hotpoint and Whirlpool were best at 8% having needed a repair between

2005 and 2009. Bosch was at 10%. GE and Amana were 11%. Maytag 13% and LG had a whopping 23% needing repair. I skipped a bunch but the range was 8% to 23% with Bosch at 10%.
Reply to
greenpjs

I don't have statistics, but there have been many complaints here about them. My local dealer will sell you one if you want it, but will not put them on the showroom floor because of the reliability problems. He says they do wash well though. Of course, every brand can put out a bad one or a great one at times compared to most off thier assembly line. They can also get better or worse with time as engineering changes take place.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

At some age point, it makes more sense to replace an appliance, maybe after 8-10 years, than undergo an expensive repair. Have you pulled the DW out yet to take a look? What component moves the air inside the DW? Got a VOM? Check for blown fuse, bad fan, burned out heating element, etc. There are a few troubleshooting appliance guides out there to help organize and speed up the detective work. Good luck.

Reply to
Phisherman

The service with Bosch is this. They are built inside out, with no easy access to do anything BUT replace the solenoid fill valve. Everything else requres COMPLETE disassembly, which can take hours, and parts are expensive. Mine had a board failure at just under 1 year old, board 500 bucks.

Fortunately it was still under warranty, a month later the water level assembly went bad, hundreds of bucks in parts and labor, covered under warranty.

6 months later a board failed again, to the trash it went.

best washing dishwasher i ever had, and the most troubles too, it was under 2 years old when i called it dead

the only plus of this? they are designed to never leak, they cant overfill.

but bend over if it breaks

Reply to
hallerb