Bosch dishwasher sku53e05uc /14

So my inlet valve burst and i bought a replacement. Turned off my kitchen b reaker, removed the old valve and as i was installing the new valve the wir es touched, sparked and went dead. Apparently the washer wasn't on that cir cuit. Apparently. I finished connecting the terminals and water but when i hit the power button all the cycle lights turn on and it just humms. Hittin g the start cycle has no effect. Anyone know what i borked?

Reply to
poopshadow.jp

My guess would be something really important and equally expensive.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I think as a rule DW is all by itself on a separate circuit. Likewise fridge too. Bad habit not double checking the power with a meter after you turn the breaker off. My dish washer cord has a plug, I just unplug it when I need to work on it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I am afraid the control board got a hit. See if you can find any thing on Youtube. We have a Bosch DW but different model. If you need any parts, repairclinic is a good place to check.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 10:53:40 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr ote:

breaker, removed the old valve and as i was installing the new valve the w ires touched, sparked and went dead. Apparently the washer wasn't on that c ircuit. Apparently. I finished connecting the terminals and water but when i hit the power button all the cycle lights turn on and it just humms. Hitt ing the start cycle has no effect. Anyone know what i borked?

Could that model number be a h and not a k?

Reply to
Molly Brown

Yeah. My fault. Shu53e05uc /14

Reply to
poopshadow.jp

This doesn't quite make sense.

The dishwasher was NOT in the middle of a cycle, correct? (even if it was still "plugged in").

So, there would be no reason for there to be "power" (i.e., a voltage difference between the two wires) to those connections. As such, no reason for a "spark".

(unless the valve has THREE terminals and an "open" and "close" coil -- doubtful)

Were any of the wires GREEN (safety ground)?

Are you sure you didn't touch the chassis, instead?

You may have only broken the new valve; or the "driver" that turns it on (i.e., supplies power to that coil).

It is possible that the unit is waiting for water that is never going to come (because of one of the above problems).

Does the manual give you a "cheat sheet" to evaluate any error codes? (I'm reasonably sure it IS indicating an error to you but in a cryptic way)

Reply to
Don Y

I agree o n the power it down for 10 minutes and see if that helps. Otherwise you've probably fried the main control board and those are often a hundred or more.

Reply to
lawrence.jamesnc

Don Y posted for all of us...

The OP didn't have the correct breaker off.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I want to understand the reported observation: "the wires touched, sparked and went dead" to better posit likely problems. IMO, there shouldn't have been ANY potential ("voltage") across the coil -- unless it was supposed to be ON. I can't understand why it would be ON if it wasn't actually trying to run a cycle.

If, indeed, it was "off", then something else was responsible for the sparks.

It is unusual for any modern device NOT to report some sort of error information -- though the actual indication might be obscure (count blinks, notice odd combinations of lights, etc.). Error message/code gives you an idea of what the device is "missing" (expecting but not detecting).

Reply to
Don Y

Maybe one lead of the solenoid coil was hot. Who knows when logic board IC is involved when this sort of thing happens.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

He claimed the leads touched. That implies that the other lead had a "return path". I.e., there was potential ACROSS THE COIL at the instant the spark was drawn. That should only happen if the dishwasher wanted the coil to be energized. Which should only happen during a cycle!

Reply to
Don Y

Possible it was on wash/rinse cycle. Any cycle can be cancelled by hitting reset button. Our DW is front control panel model. Under the start button there is little marking, "reset 3secs." meaning hold it down 3 secs. to reset after pushing power button. It is mentioned in the owner's manual as far as our Bosch model is concerned.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Seriously good thing he didn't injure or kill himself with the power being on. I don't know dish washers well enough to be sure what got fried. Best wishes, hope it's not "too" expensive.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry to hear about the dish washer. I suspect main board is the problem. Really sorry.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon