Borrowed steam cleaner left dog smell

I borrowed a steam cleaner from a friend, and after using it, it left a really strong dog odor. My friend does own several dogs. I'm not sure how to go about removing the odor. Can anyone help?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The cleaner was not maintained clean then. You just smeared the dog smell all over. Make sure the machine is clean B4 and after using it. I have my own steam cleaner but I always keep it clean. Also I use liquid "Oxy clean" with it often. I have a dog only now but used to have cat too(passed away due to old age, no more cats)
I guess you'll have to do it all over again with clean(ed) machine.

cleaning chemicals section. Maybe a splash of that, in with the wash water, would help?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 13:49:45 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Unless you literally were using the dirty water that he used this makes no sense. Assuming you used clean water and detergent the only smell you could get would either be a smell in the air due to a stinky exit filter in the machine or your carpet already had old dog odor in it and getting it wet reactivated that old odor. If it was from a dirty exit filter the smell should go away is you air out the place. If its from your carpet, that too should go away as it fully dries but it could take quite a bit longer, perhaps a week to a month.