borked window

I was playing in the backyard this morning with my two dogs and threw a baseball through my dining room window. (hey, I was great hitter!) The window is a single-pane old-school piece of crap that is about 5 feet by 3 feet. It's in some aluminum crap-job surround thingy that supposedly can withstand hurricane force winds.

I have never replaced a window myself before.

Will they laff at me at the local home center?

Any tips for correct tools?

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

tape and chewing gum - paste it from the inside so you won't see it outside

Reply to
hoover

Replacing windows is a pane.

kurt

Reply to
kurt

Yes, because it's a guarantee that they won't have the correct size or make. You'll probably have to special order it.

winnard

Reply to
winnard

Yes; they laffed at me because no one stocks do-it-yourself glass that big. I'll call joe the window repair guy on Monday.

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

Any glass place should be able to make you whatever size you want.

Reply to
TakenEvent

On Aug 5, 12:42 pm, Mercellus Bohren villainous company hath been the spoil of me:

Buy a new window. I just installed two windows, about 5 by 3. You can buy a cheap, double-pane fiberglass window to replace that one for under $200 that's probably 10x better than the one that's in there. Buying a $50 piece of glass doesn't seem cost effective. Furthermore, putting it in won't be too much easier than installing an entire window.

-Tom Enright

Reply to
alicamdun

Yeah, that's what the guy at Loews said. I think I'll have them come out and replace all the windows with insulated double-paned windows. That will be expensive, but it will be worth it over the long run. (There are about 20 of these windows around the downstairs part of the house.) My electric company won't like it, but, rsfck them anyway.

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

Calling Joe is a good idea.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

Mercellus Bohren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

It's worthwhile to shop around and perhaps wait for a sale from a local manufacturer depending on the level of quality you want.

Reply to
Clark

Mercellus Bohren presented the following explanation :

The Sears guy will happily come to your place and do it while you are at work.

Reply to
Dan S.

With a window that size, may want to call a glass company. That's a serious piece of glass.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

innews: snipped-for-privacy@g12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Yes. It sure is worth saving $50 to wait a couple of months with a gaping hole in your dining room window.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Enslin

Joe to replace window on Wednesday. I hope we don't have one of those master blaster thunderstorms roll through today or tomorrow. My patch job is only good for calm weather.

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

Jon Enslin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

Well Jon if you had bothered to read what was written, "...replace all the windows..." perhaps you would have understood why I made the suggestion. Then again perhaps you lack the ability to understand anything but the conclusions you are so ready to leap to.

Reply to
Clark