Boric Acid for ants -where to get

Page 2 of 4
Charles Spitzer wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 02:23:04 +0000, CJT wrote:

I *think* oxalic acid is "wood bleach". Rather than neutralizing tannic acid I'd think it bleached it out of the wood.
--
Keith

RichK wrote:

No need for an acid to be a liquid. Trying to remember back many years to my chemistry classes. Acids as I recall are proton donors. For give me if I have this wrong, it has been a long time since I had those classes.

As I recall Boric Acid (a powder) is used, not because it is a weak acid, but rather because it is a very find powder that clogs the small holes that the insect breaths through. Good for cockroaches as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:42:40 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

I think it dissolves the cockroaches, having seen a dead one that obviously walked through it and the next day there is little (less) of the damn thing...
Hate to butt in here but, before I pull my eyes out, Ants are very picky when it comes to food. Different times of the year they require a completely unique food type. During the winter when they are not reproducing then they only require water. Sugar is a treat they will take you up on at all times of the year. The Ants you see running around now are probably just seeking shelter and water. Household ants aren't going to be attracted to yeast; they won't consume it if it was the last food source on earth.( there maybe some exotic ant that eats yeast but I an assuming you don't live in a rain forest) Worker Ants don't digest solid food they take it back to the larvae which are just wormy stomachs. They digest the solids and convert it to liquid to be ingested by the colony. You hear these wise tales about ants eating grits and exploding. Not going to happen, same with yeast. Ants don't wake up and crave toast. Commercial Ant Baits do work you just have to know what the ants are attracted too at the time. Yes, store bought baits and traps are misleading they all seem to state total colony elimination quick and easy. But it is just advertising B.S. Ant Control is a long process and unfortunately most people don't have the patience required to deal with it. They are all looking for a magic bullet. Trust me if there was a magic bullet it would be available to the marketplace. My company produces "commercial bait" but we don't advertise it to be the magic bullet, only a tool in the arsenal. If you want to use home made bait that you feel is superior to commercial brands give them what they seek, water and treat them to sugar. Make a mess enjoy yourself. I prefer fresh squeezed orange juice but it only took me a few times to do it too realize that taking a cap off a carton takes far less time and effort and the taste difference of fresh squeezed to store bought just didn't outweigh the frustration.
But to answer the original post, just use the cheep roach dust boric acid found everywhere. A little goes a long way. First find something the ants will be attracted too then just add as little as a teaspoon to a cup of attractant mix it in well and let em go at it.
Then start looking for moisture issues in your house to find a reason they are there to begin with. Ants are only a symptom to an underlying problem.
RichK wrote:

Well, that's because you don't know anything about chemistry. I suppose that you don't know that aspirin is an acid?
wrote in message

Like wow, man! I remember back in college taking some of that Bayer Blotter.
Trippy, man......
;-]
sligojoe snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Apparently Borax the name for a number of chemical compounds, but you're right. Borax isn't the same as boric acid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax
and from: http://www.dialcorp.com/index.cfm?page_id=57
Q: Is Twenty Mule Team Borax Laundry Booster the same as boric acid? A: No, Boric Acid is an acid formed from the reaction of borax with sulfuric acid or another mineral.
I sit corrected.
-- Keith

On 2006-01-13 15:10:50 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"

both work - i've tried them.

Yes, both work. Borax can be obtained in most any grocery store in the laundry detergen aisle; I've seen Boric Acid at Home Despot in the pesticides aisle.
Kelly
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Finally! Some people call mean Borax when they say Boric acid, but it ain't so. Yes, Borax will probably kill the little buggers.
Keith Williams wrote:

No, don't think Borax. Boric acid and Borax are not the same any more than Borax is the same as Boraxo.
says...

Nope,not the same thing.BORAX (sodium borosilicate)does not equal boric acid. The grocery store will have real Boric Acid,though;that's where I bought mine.In with the pest control products.
BORAX is a laundry-booster.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Keith Williams wrote:

Borax isn't boric acid.
--
dadiOH
____________________________
With all the effective ant sprays why brew your own?
I was selling a home and the buyer complained there were ants outdoors...
yep thats where they live... er lived.
one gallon of ant spray in a pump container with a sprayer did them in almost instantly.
I actually felt bad the ants werrent causing any problem and are normal part of environment. but it was a big issue for buyer:( So I HAD to wipe them out:(
With all the effective ant sprays why brew your own?
I was selling a home and the buyer complained there were ants outdoors...
yep thats where they live... er lived.
one gallon of ant spray in a pump container with a sprayer did them in almost instantly.
I actually felt bad the ants werrent causing any problem and are normal part of environment. but it was a big issue for buyer:( So I HAD to wipe them out:(

Regards,
RichK wrote:

Well, it used to be on the shelves of every drugstore. But now that drugstores are stocked with toys, food, liquor, holiday decorations, hardware, etc. etc. I don't really know if you can buy it there or not.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Sure Drug Storesa sell Boric Acid.... if not in stock then they can get in in 24 hours usually..
I am a semi retired Pharmacist...and I do have to agree with you on selling toys food and Liquor...mainly because there is no profit in filling Rx's anymore... PERIOD... Honestly with most Insuirance companies paying less then 5 dollars above the cost of an RX and not paying for the containers, labels etc it is extremely rare to even get a GROSS profit of 15 percent... Toys produce 50 percent profit margins, food & Liquuor slightly less.
Enjoy and sometimes I wish they sold Liquor where I work one evening a week because I need a stiff dribk after dealing with Insuramnce proplems... Ever try to get a new Medicare Rx thru the system? oh make that drink a double...
Bob G.