Boric Acid for ants -where to get

Page 1 of 4
Hi,
Where does one buy Boric Acid? Local hardware store did not have it. Would like to mix my own for ant control.
Rich

The grocery store (think Borax).
--
Keith

Thanks Keith,

Would
Would have never made the connection. Is Borax a 100% boric acid.
Some of the ant poison compounds with fancy labels have around 40%. The recipes I have seen for ant poison suggest higher concentration.
It's winter where I live, but small ants are "omming out of the woodwork" in my kitchen and it's time to assert myself :-)
Rich

It was at one time. I suspect it still is (the stuff is cheap to make). Look at a box.

It's winter here too, but over 50 today (-20F last year this time)! What kind of ants? Winter isn't their favorite time unless they're nesting in your house (not good!).
--
Keith

They are very small ants, and yes I'm sure they live in the house. I have several big plants, so maybe this is where they came from. Don't see them around the plants at this point, just showing up around the stove every few days. Been stumping them so far, but it's time to get the big guns :-)
Rich

For kiling them in the kitchen, spray them with a spray bottle filled with water and a teaspoon of dish detergent. Kills on contact (and also helps remove the grease that they're eating).
To kill the colony, though, you'll need a borax or borate bait and a few weeks.

No, it's mostly sodium borate, but I know from experience that both work.
You can also buy boric acid in 1-pound yellow plastic squeeze bottles, labeled as "Roach Killer," in most dollar stores.

I think Boraxo powerdered hand soap/clearner is a lot more expensive that boric acid, if only because it's sold for people and not for roaches.
I haven't compared prices however..

Before there were dollar stores, I used boric acid for roaches. Worked pretty well, and I didn't bother to put it where it showed. Only behind the stove (which was also the pathway to the rest of the apartment.)
I still needed a can of liquid with a squirter to get into other places, like peeling wall paper. The peeling was small and high and didn't bother me, but the roaches lived in the cracks. Finally bombed them and they all died.

Wrong. It isn't boric acid, and it never was. It's sodium borate.
--
Regards,
There's a home repair radio show around here (Portland, Oregon) where a guy touts a dry mixture, 1/3 each by volume, of boraxo, baker's yeast and powdered confectioners sugar, well mixed . Says to put it on small plastic tops from things like a Planters nuts can in areas where the ants appear.

Reply address is deliberately munged.
"Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> wrote in message

For years all we've ever used for ant control is equal parts of Borax and confectioners sugar, applied with a dollar store catsup squeeze bottle with a nozzle. Never heard of the yeast being added though.
Liz
Somewhere further down thread a poster was talking about "protein" ants and "sugar" ants and that bait for one would not work on the other. I wonder if the yeastpart is to add a "protein" component to the cncoction so that it would work on either variety of ant?
Like I said, I've never used the recipie, but have heard this homeowner's advice guy on a local radio station recommend it for years.

On 2006-01-13 21:57:40 -0500, "Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> said:

Ants seek either grease (fat) or sugar. Depending on season and the colony's needs.
One or the other (or both) will get them in a bait.
Keith Williams wrote:

I have tried Borax, but I found it kills grass easily if you put it on an ant hill in the grass! Even when using it agains the house in nongrassy places, I was never sure it was doing much. I've since used a container of granules found in the hardware store that is specifically for ants, and it seems to work well. --Phil
Phil Munro wrote:

Duh! Boron is a mineral nutrient for plants but at an extremely low level and it is toxic at only a slightly higher level. Putting a boron compound on the ground can poison the ground for a long time.
Keith Williams wrote:

My source says
Borax is Na2B4O7-10H2O, Hydrated sodium borate
Boric acid is H3BO3
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Now I'm all confused. Acids to me are liquid. The formula I saw for ant poison mantioned Boric Acid in powder (or similar).
Mabye a scouting trip is needed to see what's what.
Rich
says... :) Now I'm all confused. Acids to me are liquid. The formula I saw for ant :) poison mantioned Boric Acid in powder (or similar). :) :) Mabye a scouting trip is needed to see what's what. :) :) What makes it acid..along with the liquid you are thinking of as acids is the ph level. You can also find BA powder in products such as Roach- Proof ..Roach and Ant Powder , but because they are marketed as an insecticide they will be priced higher than the boric acid you might find boxed at at a drugstore.
--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
snipped-for-privacy@isp.net says...

Not all acids are liquid. Tannic Acid is another dry acid.

--
Keith

wrote in message

another is oxalic acid, used by woodworkers to neutralize tannic acid.