Boric acid and DE

Can someone give me the short answer on using them as insecticides?

I tried the grits thing, and they either ate it or ignored it. The ants and hills are still there.

Reply to
Steve B

Mix the boric acid with some sugar water, maple syrup or other sugary liquid, and put it on a cotton ball and stick that in their path.

RicodJour

I can't imagine boric acid doing much. Isn't that the stuff used in eye wash? Could there be a more wimpy acid? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

The proportions of boric acid and sugar are rather important. At least, it seems that way with the ants around here.

Too much borac acid and the ants won't take it. Too little and it ain't gonna kill the colony.

The Terro liquid ant baits work better than anything else I have been able to make or buy commerically. My local ants love that stuff and although it may take a few days, it does wipe out the nest.

Boric acid injected into cracks and crevices where it won't get blown or washed away does seem to be quite effective at deterring the little buggers from creating freeways through those areas.

Keep in mind that different ants (depending on species and the availability of other food sources) may be seeking "sugary" food but they may be after "fatty" food. In the latter case, something like peanut butter laced with boric acid may be more effective.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Google - boric acid insects

Reply to
willshak

"Steve B" wrote

Ouch, tough crowd. It's working here.

Reply to
cshenk

For insects the DE needs to be the food grade DE, not that used in pools systems. The difference: food grade DE is not processed using heat. It's just the way it was harvested. The jagged edges remain on the fossil. Pool DE is heated and that rounds the edges off the fossil. Rub each between you thumb and finger -- feel the difference.

The sharp edges on the fossil is what causes havoc on the critters.

Were those instant grits?

( 87 Octane on each mound, followed shortly by a burning match )

Reply to
Oren

So you don't use instant grits, I take it.

Reply to
Oren

I've heard it described as "sugar ants" vs. "grease ants".

Same deal, I guess. Ya' gotta' use the right bait.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Nope, specifically said not to.

Reply to
cshenk

For carpenter ants, I put down liquid ant bait from

in bottle caps, or tupperware lids. they bellied up to the bar, drank heartily, and didn't come back. This was maybe five or more years ago. the Orkin guy wanted $175 per treatment, and no guarantees.

Orkin closed, and the place is now a daycare. I'm not sure I'd want to house kids in a building that used to have pesticides.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Grits only kills Yankee ants, if they're Southern ants, you're screwed.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I got that part right. I used the old fashioned grits.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Since the OP didn't ask, I didn't mention it, but I second the Terro recommendation. I had a friend that was trying to deal with a nasty carpenter ant infestation and was using those small, useless plastic white-flower-looking ant baits. The ants totally ignored the things and the traps had been in place for weeks with no effect.

I recommended the Terro traps and offered to help. The Borg didn't carry the Terro liquid, but a local hardware store did. One day later the traps were full of carpenter ants. Two days later there were even more ants feasting. Third day - no ants at all.

As another person posted, the boric acid is good for spritzing dry into crevices and along sill plates and such.

RicodJour

"Steve B" wrote

Must be them pesky yankee ants who don't do grits. Sorry Steve! I've not had this fail in 20 years.

Reply to
cshenk

There's effective and there's effective. You can also kill the hive by whacking the individual ants with a small hammer.

Me, I'd buy a small quantity of DDT from overseas.

Reply to
HeyBub

Rebel ants, down south are particular.

They prefer _Dixie Lilly_, White Lilly (?).

Any grit made in Alabama, is a _goood_ grit.

Reply to
Oren

These are Utah ants, and I ain't going there on any comments ................ ;-)

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Either that, or Utah ants don't know what grits are. Like the regular Utards. You say "Grits" to them and they say, "Whuh?"

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to