Boric acid and DE

Page 1 of 2

Can someone give me the short answer on using them as insecticides?
I tried the grits thing, and they either ate it or ignored it. The ants and hills are still there.
Add pictures here
✖

Mix the boric acid with some sugar water, maple syrup or other sugary liquid, and put it on a cotton ball and stick that in their path.
✖

The proportions of boric acid and sugar are rather important. At least, it seems that way with the ants around here.
Too much borac acid and the ants won't take it. Too little and it ain't gonna kill the colony.
The Terro liquid ant baits work better than anything else I have been able to make or buy commerically. My local ants love that stuff and although it may take a few days, it does wipe out the nest.
Boric acid injected into cracks and crevices where it won't get blown or washed away does seem to be quite effective at deterring the little buggers from creating freeways through those areas.
Keep in mind that different ants (depending on species and the availability of other food sources) may be seeking "sugary" food but they may be after "fatty" food. In the latter case, something like peanut butter laced with boric acid may be more effective.
✖

I've heard it described as "sugar ants" vs. "grease ants".
Same deal, I guess. Ya' gotta' use the right bait.
-Zz
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 11, 3:44 pm, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

Since the OP didn't ask, I didn't mention it, but I second the Terro recommendation. I had a friend that was trying to deal with a nasty carpenter ant infestation and was using those small, useless plastic white-flower-looking ant baits. The ants totally ignored the things and the traps had been in place for weeks with no effect.
I recommended the Terro traps and offered to help. The Borg didn't carry the Terro liquid, but a local hardware store did. One day later the traps were full of carpenter ants. Two days later there were even more ants feasting. Third day - no ants at all.
As another person posted, the boric acid is good for spritzing dry into crevices and along sill plates and such.
✖

I can't imagine boric acid doing much. Isn't that the stuff used in eye wash? Could there be a more wimpy acid? ;)
nb
Add pictures here
✖
notbob wrote the following:

Google - boric acid insects
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Ouch, tough crowd. It's working here.
Add pictures here
✖

So you don't use instant grits, I take it.
Add pictures here
✖
"Oren" wrote

Nope, specifically said not to.
Add pictures here
✖

I got that part right. I used the old fashioned grits.
Steve
✖
"Steve B" wrote

Must be them pesky yankee ants who don't do grits. Sorry Steve! I've not had this fail in 20 years.
Add pictures here
✖

These are Utah ants, and I ain't going there on any comments ................ ;-)
Steve
✖
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 14:43:47 -0700, "Steve B"

Rebel ants, down south are particular.
They prefer _Dixie Lilly_, White Lilly (?).
Any grit made in Alabama, is a _goood_ grit.
Add pictures here
✖

Either that, or Utah ants don't know what grits are. Like the regular Utards. You say "Grits" to them and they say, "Whuh?"
Steve
✖
"Steve B" wrote

Grin, Either way, it's the main method I've used but then I'm trying to keep the back yard safe for the dog as well. If still working from an organic aspect, Boric Acid is pretty safe. You could mix some with sugar water and soak the hills?
Add pictures here
✖

Just leave it granular and let the workerss carry the stuff back to the queen.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:19:21 -0700, "Steve B"

For insects the DE needs to be the food grade DE, not that used in pools systems. The difference: food grade DE is not processed using heat. It's just the way it was harvested. The jagged edges remain on the fossil. Pool DE is heated and that rounds the edges off the fossil. Rub each between you thumb and finger -- feel the difference.
The sharp edges on the fossil is what causes havoc on the critters.

Were those instant grits?
( 87 Octane on each mound, followed shortly by a burning match )
Add pictures here
✖
For carpenter ants, I put down liquid ant bait from www.gardensalive.com in bottle caps, or tupperware lids. they bellied up to the bar, drank heartily, and didn't come back. This was maybe five or more years ago. the Orkin guy wanted $175 per treatment, and no guarantees.
Orkin closed, and the place is now a daycare. I'm not sure I'd want to house kids in a building that used to have pesticides.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 7/11/2010 2:19 PM, Steve B wrote: