Booster pump voltage question

I got a 1 hp Flo-Tec 4332-08 sprinkler pump. It comes prewired for 230v. Changing to lower voltage is Tinkertoy simple.

My question: It is a 1 hp pump that may run 4 hrs a day. What is the better voltage and why? I have both voltages available to the unit. Just wondering what's the difference.

Seems like the 110 v. room A/C's I had were back in the day cost more money to run than a 220 unit.

What say ye?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Given a choice, run it on the higher voltage. There will be slightly less voltage drop in the wires going to the motor.

It will take about 4 amps at the higher voltage and 8 amps at the lower voltage. That makes slightly more power used in the wires at the lower voltage, also you need to use larger wire on the lower voltage.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

this is all true but the difference is SO slight that it is not worth violating the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Changing to lower voltage is Tinkertoy simple. My question: It is a 1 hp pu mp that may run 4 hrs a day. What is the better voltage and why? I have bot h voltages available to the unit. Just wondering what's the difference. See ms like the 110 v. room A/C's I had were back in the day cost more money to run than a 220 unit. What say ye? Steve

My subjective observation is that motors seem to have an easier time starti ng on 220. I'd guess because the start up amperage draw is less.

Reply to
jamesgang