Bondo to fill in spots on concrete porch

Or fumed silica (as a filler). Brand names are Cab-o-Sil and Aero-Sil. Mixed with epoxy to the consistency of Vaseline or peanut butter. Sets up hard and clear. UV degrades epoxy so needs to be painted.

Good supplier of resins, fillers, etc...

dadiOH

Bondo is the last thing I'd use. Warm climate? Cold? Cracks or just scraggly surface (missing aggregate)? I would not bother scraping off old paint....pressure wash. If paint is adhering well, sand that. There is mortar for resurfacing concrete. I've been dabbling with concrete and mortar lately, making planters and stepping stones for yard, but no experience patching other that using liquid crack filler. If I were in a lazy mood, and the suface didn't require structural help or filling deep defects, I'd use premixed latex stucco patching stuff...used it on the Florida condo to fill broken c.b. and (as mortar and stucco) on a hole in wall prior to painting. Worked beautifully, and lots easier than mixing/cleaning up 'crete.

Reply to
Norminn

Bondo makes a filler with fiberglass also, but I've never tried it.

Unless perfectly coated, it'll draw damp - and on a concrete slab it still might from the backside. This I learned from working on old cars in western PA - any Bondo repair *must* be 100% coated - e.g. if you use it to fill a pinholed section of metal, unless you paint and put some tar on the backside of the panel, it'll rust out again faster than if you'd done nothing at all.

I have no experience using it on concrete, but my spidey sense says that it might cause the paint to lift due to changing moisture levels.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

True... I'm surprised it's so hard to get the old paint off though. Last place I lived a hot sunny day would lift big bubbles of paint off the porch. I would just go out with a scraper and take more off :) Almost got it clean before I moved...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Clicking on "Data Sheet" gives:

Which says: "Build up to the desired thickness using successive 1/8? layers."

One of the major problems patching concrete is bonding to the original concrete. That is probably what the "polymer modifiers" are for. I did not read the instructions carefully, but I assume you want clean concrete, and a rough surface may help.

This stuff sounds better than bondo and other ideas to me.

Reply to
bud--

What about the shine

Reply to