"BONDING" whirpool tub components

I recently installed a Ameerican Standard Whirlpool tub, that has a

2.1HP pump that came wired with a three prong plug. I also installed a EZ inline hearer that also came with a three prong plug. I put each of these on separate circuits (20A/15A pump/heater), isolated, ending with a GFCI-protected outlet. I was reading through the installation instructions for the heater, and it talked about "BONDING" the heater to the house ground supply.

I have done a bit of research, and now understand that that means a 8AWG bare or green ground wire needs to go to the heater and pump (although the pump installation instructions didn't say anything about this) and then to my panel.

OK I am gonna do this, but I was wondering how big a deal is this, in the meantime? Should I not use the hot tub due to danger? Both devices are grounded, and plugged into functional GFCI outlets. I (sort of) understand that the bonding ensures equal something-or-other ( no voltage differences) between each of the metal componets near the tub. thx

Reply to
chester

You really just bond all the electrical componants and any other incidental metal bigger than the palm of your hand together with the #8. You should also bond the slab (steel) the spa sits on. It doesn't have to go back to the panel ground. The equipment grounds run with the power does trhat.

Reply to
gfretwell

So it really doens't have to go back to the panel? I have read conflicting accounts on this. The instalation intructions for the heater, for example, suggests it does. thx

Reply to
chester

From the NEC;

680.26 Bonding. (A) Performance. The bonding required by this section shall be installed to eliminate voltage gradients in the pool area as prescribed. FPN:This section does not require that the 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding conductor be extended or attached to any remote panelboard, service equipment, or any electrode.
Reply to
gfretwell