Bombs - WARNING

Page 1 of 2
Although none of us will probably encounter the situation described here, one never knows for certain, and if forwarding this saves on person from getting hurt, then it is worth it. Bob-tx
Kids are putting Drano, tin foil, and a little water in soda bottles and capping it up - leaving it on lawns. When you go to pick up the trash, and the bottle is shaken just a little - in about 30 seconds or less it builds up a gas and explodes with enough force to remove some of your extremities. The liquid that comes out is boiling hot as well. Don't pick up any plastic bottles that may be lying in your yards or in the gutter, etc.
Pay attention to the following: 1. a plastic bottle with a cap. 2. a little Drano. 3. a little water. 4. a small piece of foil. 5. Disturb it by moving it; and BOOM!! No fingers left and other serious effects to your face, eyes, etc. People are finding these "bombs" in mailboxes and in their yards, just waiting for you to pick it up intending to put it in the trash. But, you'll never make it!!! It takes about 30 seconds to blow after you move the thing. http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/bottlebomb.asp
Add pictures here
✖
In typed:

Add pictures here
✖
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Bombs-WARNING-573609-.htm Nestor Kelebay wrote:
Bob-tx wrote:

Thanks, Bob-tx. That's good to know.
------------------------------------- ..in solidarity with the movement for change in Iran.
Add pictures here
✖
Bob-tx wrote the following:

BTW, the video on that site shows the explosion of the bottle bomb by the Emergency Services using a remote detonator. The bottle bomb itself does not produce flames.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
¶GVO7HbbpY
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I think the proper name is IED! :)
--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
✖
Man-wai Chang wrote:

I'd rather handle a IUD !
Add pictures here
✖
On 2010-10-13, Bob-tx <NOBSPAM> wrote:

What are you? Seven?
Evem kids have been making homemade explosives for decades. Never heard of flushing a lit M80/cherrybomb down a school toilet. Carbide pellets? Vinegar and baking soda? Match head guns?
"You'll put yer eye out, kid"!
nb
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/13/2010 12:18 PM, notbob wrote:

When I was a kid, we would fashion a device out of two clothes pins, the kind that consist of two pieces of wood and a metal spring, that would shoot and light a kitchen match. They were pretty neat!
Add pictures here
✖
Says that if you find a soda bottle with any liquid in it, to call 911 for proper disposal. Well, gee, I could be calling 911 several times a day with that advice. Watch that get me locked up in the funny farm.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 10/13/2010 8:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖

Or just ignore it for a day. By then the pressure will be gone and the plastic and draino will be nothing but a gooey mess.
Add pictures here
✖
Works, if you can get everyone else in the world to leave it alone, also.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 10/14/2010 4:24 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Damn Nanny State. Okay, how about hitting it with a leaf blower, and blow it out into the street?
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:39:49 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I think it's ok if the liquid is yellow. That happens around here sometimes.
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why bother the cops? Take care of it yourself. One shot should do it.
Add pictures here
✖
Bob-tx wrote:

OK, I understand the reaction of sodium hydroxide (Drano) and aluminum ("tinfoil") - it produces hydrogen gas. What I don't understand is why movement of the capped bottle is necessary to cause it to explode.
Can someone explain, please?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Good question. I suppose you could put the Drano mixture in the bottom of the bottle and the Aluminum foil wad at the top, then hope the mark inverts the container.
Add pictures here
✖

This is a troll. They don't make "tin" foil any more.
Steve
✖
On 10/14/2010 9:46 AM, Steve B wrote:

Unfortunately, people tend to call aluminum foil, tin foil. I often try to explain that tin foil is more expensive. I get blank looks. 8-)
TDD
Add pictures here
✖