bolting toilet tank to toilet bow

Seemed simple when my friend started, but get conflicting instructions on how to bolt the toilet tank to toilet bowl.
http://www.sandiego-plumbers.com/info/installing_toilet_tank.htm says to put a bolt with only a rubber washer on it through the tank and below the bowl flange use washers and nuts. That doesn't seem right.
The instructions on the Kenny brand Plumb-Pak, which contained only bolts, washers, and nuts for this purpose says to put first a metal washer, then a rubber washer on the bolt, put the bolt through the tank and use the included hex nut underneath the tank. Then below the toilet bowl flange, the included rubber washer, the metal one, and the wingnut. This means tightening the hex nut directly against the ceramic tank, which sounds like a bad idea to me.
So together, my friend and I found two more rubber washers and two more metal ones and put them under the nuts directly below the tank (and above the bowl) and did the rest the way the Plumb-Pak-age said.
What do y'all think?
mm wrote:

I did it just like that 3 years ago, no problems.
Jerry

Based on years of experience I recommend you do it this way (1st paragraph)
http://househomerepair.com/Bathrooms/Replacing-a-Toilet-Part-2.php
Makes a secure leak proof and removable seal. The next time you have to pull the tank you will enjoy the benefit of the extra effort.
Colbyt
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 18:46:35 -0400, "Colbyt"

Great! I'm gald to hear this. That's what we did, the first paragraph.
Thanks to you, and thanks to Jerry, too.

Let's see. I've found tank bolts covered with silicone, hot melt glue and roofing cement.