Boiler +Water Softner

A Softener was installed 3 months after I moved in this new house July of 06.I see that the cold water makeup feed is after the softener.Should this be taken off and fed directly from the well?

NO. You want soft water for a boiler. It eliminates a lot of mineral eposits and extends its life. Check any industrial boiler water treatment and they use softeners.