Boiler to heat water by gravity

Hi all, I would like to know if a boiler for heating water could work with water provided by gravity. I have a 1000 liters water in a tank at 8-9 ft. If I install the boiler under the sink, will be the water by gravity pressure (from the tank) enough for have it in use for the sink?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

I have a freind who can in an emergency , heat his house using his hot water heater by gravity. It is tied into the same piping as his boiler is. If he looses power to his house...and thus the boiler, he turns some valves to switch over the system to the hot water heater. It then heats the water in his baseboards by gravity.

Would it work in your scenario ? Yes, but it would have to be properly engineered.

Dave

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

P.S. They do make small water heaters for undersink use. You did know that right ??

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

In many parts of the world, the UK for instance, "boiler" = "water heater" and I think that this must be the case now -- otherwise it wouldn't make much sense for him to question delivering the boiler's output to the sink.

Reply to
John McGaw

I believe you get a about 1 psi for every two feet of elevation.

Reply to
bill

Pretty close but just a bit high. My initial guess was that it would be considerably more than your figure, probably based on memories of carrying

5-gallon buckets of water. These numbers will probably help:

John McGaw

Yep. .433 per foot. He will have only about 4psi at best at the tap.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K