boiler required a reset

I noticed that the house temp was 8 degrees below what the thermostat was set for. It has been a frigid spell here for the past days, so the boiler has been running a lot lately. I went to the cellar and there seemed to maybe be the slight scent of something unusual in the air. The water level was good. I hit the reset button on the boiler and it started right up. The burner then ran okay for 90 minutes while it heated up the house to the temp on the thermostat.
At that point, as a test I bumped up the thermostat and the burner turned on as normal.
What could account for the burner not turning on like that? Thanks.

The "reset" tripped out because the burner didn't sense flame. There are a number of reasons why this might occur. My guess would be fuel delivery, as it seems to be running well now. If your filter hasn't been changed in a while, that would be what I'd look at first