Boiler question

Page 1 of 2
We just moved into a 96 year old house in September. It has a hot water boiler with some old/some newer radiators around the house. The heat has been pretty steady and good. A few days ago the temp seemed to drop a bit, so my girlfriend turned it up, and it didn't go up, so the next day she turned it up again. Still no change.
I pulled the thermostat off the wall and tipped it all the way to one side (old mercury type) and the boiler kicked on. So since the thermostat was pretty old, I went and bought a new one. Wired it up and all seemed good. The boiler was running, etc. But after all day yesterday and last night it won't get above 60 degrees in the house. It has been very cold here the last two days (about -4 without the wind chill).
So my question is, could this be something with the thermostat since it seems to be steady at 60 (even though the thermostat is set at 74). Or is there something with the boiler that I can check for?
Thanks in advance for your help.
First, you need to go to Home Depot, and get another thermostat. Second, ask his question on Alt.Hvac, where the pros can help you out.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

What a wack & hack.

NOOOOO do not do that!

This guy is a jamb busting, ripoff locksmith and a HVAC hack and wanna be that can't pour piss out of boot with the directions written on the heel.
--
Tekkie

Eraserhead wrote:

Is the boiler firing continuously? Gas-fired? Oil-fired? Or, does the burner come on and off repeatedly? How often?
Are the pipes leading to the rads hot enough to burn your hand?
Jim
Well I didn't buy it at Home Depot for starts, second it's gas fired. The radiators won't burn you right away, but I don't think you can hold onto them for too long or it might. Haven't checked the pipes in the basement. My boss said his house will only got up to about 62 yesterday and he also has gas fired hot water heat. So I wonder if my boiler/radiator setup just can't handle that kind of cold?

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:26:03 GMT, "Eraserhead"

Not enough info. What type radiators do you have? What is the temp of your water. Are the burners constantly running when the house wont get above 60? -4 degrees is mighty cold. That is below the design temperature of a home where I live. Call someone to look at it before you freeze to death. Doint listen to Stormy. He hasnt a clue. And I have no idea what a re-circulator is that Ransley mentioned. Bubba

It may not be enough capacity for the house. Is the burner turning off and on once in a while? If it is cycling properly, the thermostat is working. What is the aquastat set at? If it is too low, the water will not get hot enough to carry the heat needed. Find out what the recommended setting is and use that. You don't want to make steam, just have the water hot enough to be efficient.
The thermostat usually turns on the circulator pump to get the hot water moving. Once it circulates, hot water leaves the boiler, cooler water comes in. The aquastat in the boiler senses that and turns on the burner to heat it up. Usually there is about a 20 degrees differential. You may want to have a technician come out and show you how the system operates.
Check out how well the house is insulated, storm windows, etc. That can save a bundle on heating costs. Ed
Bubba, the recirculator pump, usualy a B&G moves the water through the system to Heat more evenly then old gravity systems. A common retrofit 50 - 60 yrs ago. If aqua stat is set say at 140 but house thermostat is still calling for heat the pump will just run till water gets to say 135 then refiring the boiler. Pump stuts off when house thermostst is satisfied.
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:27:36 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Ransley, I know EXACTLY what it is. Ive only been in this for 25ish years now. Third generation actually. It is NOT called a recirculator. It is called a B&G CIRCULATOR pump motor. There is no RE in it. I also havent seen any REFIRING. I usually watch boilers FIRE. Again, no RE. Pump doesnt shut off if the house thermostat satisfies when you are using a aquastat to control the pump. It will shut off when the water is somewhere below 140 degrees. That aquastat can also be wired in several different ways. I can even use a Tekmar control on the boiler and not even use an indoor thermostat. Do you need any more help now? "RE"Bubba
Bubba posted for all of us....

That was a nice RE ply RE Bubba what is a RE Tekmar control?
--
Tekkie

Right here. http://www.csiworldwide.com/Tekmar/tekmar%20256.htm Bubba

Technicly, he is correct. You can circulate water one time. After that is is being re-circulated.

Well I can RE eat and RE shit too but I dont think I will. Bubba
If the snow falls (1) , and then you shovel it (2), are you doing snow removal?
--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas

Looks like Ransley wins. From the Grundfos web page. :
Application area Hot water recirculation in domestic dwellings and other small building complexes.
http://www.grundfos.com/web/homehandg.nsf/Webopslag/C6F2EEBBC518C468C1256E9E0045123C

http://www.grundfos.com/web/homehandg.nsf/Webopslag/C6F2EEBBC518C468C1256E9E 0045123C
Sure, the pump is for rercirculating water, But look the web site over well. Check out their online catalog. No recirculating pump to be had anywhere, they have a bunch on circulating pumps though! Us guys in the biz call them circulating pumps. Just replaced one about 2 hours ago. Greg

So did I, but it was a Taco. And I didn't even use any sauce.....