boiler problem

My hot water tank started leaking last night and my basement was a pool of water. I closed off the water supply into the house, as well as the cold water tap that is right on the tube leading into the tank, but the water continued to seep out of the tank all night long. The quantity of water that has come out of the tank seems to be more than it should hold. Is turning off the water supply sufficient? Where is the water coming from?
Botticelli
Botticeli wrote:

This is a tank off your boiler?
--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 04:30:05 -0700, Botticeli wrote:

Just because you closed a water valve, does not necessarily mean the valve will shut off the water *completely*. The rubber gasket (washer?) may have been eaten away by the flow of water over time. There are (and will be) other causes of valves not closing fully when needed.
All the water that was in pipes will also drain out (pipes that went from the tank to where the water was used.)
If you find a leak, get the garden hose out and do a full drain (controlled) of the tank yourself. Only when the tank is drained can you isolate the source of any extra water trying to fill the tank.

If you have been running water in any faucets, some of that water could be traveling across the faucet in draining out the heater.
What does this have to do with your boiler?
JK