Boiler Hi/Lo Differential Question

Greetings:

I live on the east coast of Canada - so winters are pretty cold. My hot water boiler for baseboard heating is also used to heat my domestic hot water.

Question - what is a standard setting for the Aquastat with regards to Hi/Lo and Differential settings? I have heard 190/170 with a 20 differential [for the cold months], but others give me slightly different numbers.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gallant

The couple boilers I've serviced run 140 to 160. That's plenty hot enough to hurt if you touch the pipes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

You dont want it to low so your pump runs 24x7 and it depends on how well sized it is 180 - 190 for a high is normal. The question is how well it heats when its -20. 140 - 160 for me is low.

Reply to
m Ransley

But it may not be enough to heat his house, you HACK!

Reply to
HeatMan

To be sure, you need to see the heat loss for the house.

Reply to
HeatMan

Geez Stormy. The last boiler I worked on the minimum was 180F max was 220F! It really depends on the type of system you have. At a guess, I would say

160 minimum, max would be as hat as you need to heat your home in COLD weather. If you have glycol in the system you can run hotter, if not, ~200F max. But again, it depends! Greg
Reply to
Greg O

Yes, it depends a lot on your lifestyle. I believe that 160F is recommended if you have a dishwasher. And if you want a smooth, even heat, with not much change in room temperature between boiler operations, keep the operating temperature lower. Sometimes boiler temperatures are set so high that when the water is circulated through the baseboards the window curtains move out from the wall quite a bit from the rapid rise of the heat circulation.

Reply to
indago

Different designs..... doesn't surprise me at all that there are different settings.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Right Stormin, OP said baseboard , and NE Canada , Cold. Baseboard needs 180 - 190, radiators maybe ,, less they have more mass. Ive seen radiators at 160 when -20f not heat and pump ran 24x7, [ a waiste 20 -

50$ a month ] 180 - 190 is normal , not as you say that just hot pipes is good enough..
Reply to
m Ransley

It reminds me of when Stormin told a couple their air conditioner wasnt made to handle their going outside to smoke their cigaretts, Gee stormin I guess people shoulnt have partys and expect to be comfortable eh . Or, I dunno lady why its cold in here , thems pipes is hot to me, 200 bucks Pleeeze. Oh yes mam , some contractors are sooo rude , you never want to call one of them. But for 5500 I will give you a nice new unit

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day

On 22-Dec-03 At About 06:03:05, Stormin Mormonn wrote to Stormin Mormonn Subject: Re: Boiler Hi/Lo Differential Question

SM> From: "Stormin Mormonn"

SM> The couple boilers I've serviced run 140 to 160. That's plenty hot SM> enough to hurt if you touch the pipes.

But not hot enough at that temp to heat a home using baseboard. you really need to stop trying to answer these questions.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2