boiler, carbon monoxide leak

My friend's dad has had a plumber ascertain that he has a carbon monoxide leak problem with his boiler. The plumber is someone he's employed for 20 years and so my friend's dad is loathe to emply someone else. The plumber isn't able to sort it out till January the 6th, and who knows hoe long it's been a leak. My friend has been feeling giddy on her visits. It's not council property, but her dad is in the middle of a depression since his wife's death, and of course it's not a season to have the windows all open and maybe he's a bit muddled by the leak.
Should we be concerned? Should this job be done pretty sharpish? My friend isn't keen on visiting too soon because of how she felt on her last visit. If it's not too concerning, what things can be done in the meantime?
I don't know diddly about this kind of thing, but it feels like something that needs sorting out as a matter of urgency. The only time I've ever heard of carbon monoxide is when it's part of the phrase 'carbon monoxide poisoning'.
Thanks in advance.
Add pictures here
βœ–
What a troll.

So, he thinks so highly of his plumber that he's rather wind up in the hospital or dead instead of employ someone else?
 My friend has been

Even more unbelievable. Even a dimwit would turn off the boiler and open the windows.
 It's not council property, but her dad

More likely your a muddled troll.

Sure, she just wants to let her father keep living there, right?

Are you sure you haven't been over there yourself or perhaps had your head in an oven for awhile?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Worst case scenario is that he can die today. You can set the priority based on that.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:43:21 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had to read a few posts to be sure. Are you saying this 'plumber' did not turn the boiler off right there and then? If it IS leak CO into the house there are only two courses of action: Fix it or label it as dangerous (and disconnect it).
βœ–

Ask the local authority's health and safety office.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

He should have disconnected the gas supply from the boiler there and then, and attached a notice that it mustn't be used until fixed.
This is supposing the leak is genuine, and not a case of trying to scare an old person into paying for a new heating system when it wasn't required.

If there's no other source of heating and hot water, the house is effectively uninhabitable (particularly by an elderly person) at this time of year, until it's fixed. Can dad stay with the daughter until you get someone to fix it?
--
Andrew Gabriel
βœ–

The damn thing should have been disconnected if it wasn't fixed, how is that for serious? Who is this plumber and why is he leaving dangerous stuff?
Add pictures here
βœ–

If the plumber hasn't switched off the boiler, then: (a) he's criminally irresponsible, or (b) the leak isn't significant, or (c) it's a con to sell a new boiler, as Andrew suggests -- there seems to be a lot of "can't repair it, guv, you need a new one" around atm.
If dad's not prepared to switch off, open a window (if only in the room the boiler is situated), or spend Xmas with his daughter, I suggest that he gets a CO detector PDQ which should establish whether there's any real danger.
Chris
Add pictures here
βœ–

What you should do is get 2 good digital Co meters, like Nighthawk that have a memory function and put one near the heating unit and one in the living area and monitor them by pressing the "Peak" memory function. I would not trust any 'Friend" haa ha who let it running, gee I dont trust anyone anymore, to many liars out there for a buck. You have no idea of the cause , if in fact it is bad, it could be a dead bird in the chimney, a loose chimney pipe, or no problem at all, and you want so spend thousands. Our 25yr old friend is a crook, maybe your 20yr old one is too. Call another co to diagnose it if in fact you have a leak. Even if a Co alarm doesnt go off it does not mean there is not a health issue, thats why you monitor its memory peak, and reset it. Go to the hardware store and get a few units and see for yourself.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 06:56:14 -0800, poachedeggs wrote:

He needs to find another plumber - or preferably a qualified and registered gas installer. If his boiler's leaking CO it *must* be categorised as "Immediate Danger" and shut off. If friend's dad's plumber didn't do that he's incompetent.

I suggest you or your friend call the gas emergency service (formerly Transco) on 0800 111 999 and explain your concerns. Really.
And get round there with some electric heaters and hot water bottles for the old boy.
--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again
βœ–
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember poachedeggs
ASAP, and don't spare the horses.

Check his insurance policy and the cost of funerals, locally.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Since it was left running it could be like the car salesman saying you car is dangerous, buy this one. Any "friend" would have gone and bought a Co meter, or diagnosed and fixed the issue, or done alot more than just say "its leakin Co, I gotta go" I know a here dealers purposly break or put in scratches to make it look like the exchanger is cracked, but this lifelong "friend" did nothing but ask for a job.
Add pictures here
βœ–