Bob Green: Why extradition is inevitable.

Page 1 of 5
When an American dentist named Walter Palmer killed a beloved lion named Cecil, the social media platforms that allowed outraged web users to spread the story also enabled them to do more than just fume. It gave them the power to act on their anger, to reach into Palmer's life and punish him for what he'd done, without having to wait for the wheels of more formal justice to turn.
http://www.vox.com/2015/7/30/9074865/cecil-lion-palmer-mob-justice
but what they conceal is vital.?

yeah, lynch mobs were just dandy.
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 10:54:07 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

\theres NO EXCUSE for what he did! he richly deserves everything that is happening to him.
i hope he gets extradiated gets life no parole where he was part of the crime and attempted cover up, trying to destroy tracking collar.
his experience will discourage others in the future.
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 11:05:04 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

Despite his claims that he didn't know what was going on, that he relied on his guides, etc, apparently he's done similar before. I saw a story where he was fined several years ago for illegally killing a bear in WI in an area where it was not allowed, then moving it miles to make it look like it was shot elsewhere.
I have no problem in general with hunting. But when you want to hunt exotic species, where we all know they're numbers and habitat are dwindling, then I think it;s disgusting. I too hope this jerk gets everything that's coming to him.

I prefer the rule of law, and then he can get whatever is coming to him.
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 11:24:19 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

And so far, that's exactly what's happening.

but not what's being called for.
trader_4 wrote:

I now can't even talk normal because of too long teeth. You get what you deserve at the end. Also going into hiding mans he did some thing not right.
<stuff snipped>

He's clearly a bad pony and I wouldn't bet on him. I agree with you. I don't think anyone's going to really buy any claims of "I didn't know" or "the guides did it all." What really bothers me is that the radio collar revealing that this poor lion was only badly wounded by our "expert bowhunter" and wandered in horrible pain for 40 hours before one of the guide adminstered the coup de grace with a pistol. So he's not even a very good hunter.

He may end up getting too much of what's coming to him. Lynch mobs have come back with a vengeance on the internet and there's no telling how high a pitch they can come to before they lost interest.
--
Bobby G.

i prefer hespendsthe remainder of his worthless life in a very unpleasant prison, fixing other prisoners teet, for 5 cents a hour, for his comisary account.
death would be too good for him
congress needs to pass a law, name for him, making it illegal for any american to murder a endangered species in the future

There was some discussions early on (that I can't find now) that said he might be able to be convicted under US law. The one I remember for sure was bribery of a foreign official if he paid the guide more than usual to get this lion. I'd have to check, but I don't think the Lion is an endangered species under US law. THere was supposedly something under way to change that before the incident, but caught up in paper work.
but what they conceal is vital."
On 7/31/2015 11:05 AM, bob haller wrote:

He may deserve what happens to him, but what about his employees? He probably has an assistant, hygienist, receptionist, etc. They are now out of work too.
It would suck to show up at work one day to find you no longer have a job because your boss is a jerk. Yes, eventually they would have been anyway but there would have been a transition time to make plans.

That's funny.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:49:53 -0500, Vic Smith

I agree with those who said that if this were the first incident, his story might be believable. But it's not.

They're probably spraying each other with the water hose now. After they used the laughing gas. I hate to think what happens with the reclining dental chair. Probably watching TV from that. (My dentist has a TV there.)

They should be hustling the National Enquirer and the other tabloids to pay them for an exclusive story about the dentist, whose every skeleton is now starting to rattle. I had a jerk for a boss who not only cost me a job, he absconded with the pension funds of all the employees. DoJ wasn't the least bit interested in pursuing him (he left the country) in any way. It's all part of the rich, moth-eaten tapestry of human life. I'd be dissapointed but not surprised if the DoJ ignored the theft of pension funds of tens of thousands of dollars but prosecuted Walter. I was told at the time that any case worth less than $100,000 didn't pass their "who gives a crap" threshold.

If they're smart, they'll use his infamy to at least acquire another job. A number of vendors who chose not to comply with "gay baking" regulations raised some impressive sums on line. It won't be long before the scammers get that machine rolling. I understand some crowd-funding sites have already banned such fund-raising because of the scam potential. They could say "Lion-killer dentist cost me my job" on the fund-raising pitch.
Every cloud has a silver lining and you can always find some loose change in a tornado.
As for the dental staff, someone will hire them if they don't choose to stay with him. The winds of the Internet are fickle and after a few weeks he'll drop back into the immense scheme of things. They may decide to go on vacation and wait until things blow over at least a *little.* The real danger is if Obama decides to make an example of him, as in "we expect you Africans to police yourselves because we police our own." There's apparently been a big problem with poachers and rangers working hand in hand.
--
Bobby G.

Those are wise words about mob justice. I don't seem him being extradited precisely because he's been overpunished already. However that conclusion requires logic and compassion. We're talking about the government ultimately deciding so who knows what they think is fair.
Someone said 100's of big game animals like Cecil die this way every year. Not sure it's true but it probably is. Walter's biggest problem will likely be the destruction of the radio collar. That's the point where he starts to lose any benefit of the doubt people were willing to give him before.
One game warden put his finger on why this suddenly went viral: The lion had a name. He suggests naming all the other big game animals in Africa to help protect them.
--
Bobby G.

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 18:07:29 -0400, "Robert Green"

killing animals for sport is barbaric. I understand not everyone agrees with that. But to the extant I might help ensure punishment of this PARTICULAR ILLEGAL killing I would want to do so. I feel no empathy for this killer at all and hope he gets the book thrown at him and spends a minimum of a decade in prison. If he got life that would be fine with me too. He knew exactly what he was doing and that it was illegal. So did the guides.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

bare hands.
Per Tony Hwang:

There was a great cartoon in Mad magazine about hunting.
I've been Googling for it for two days now and think I have it narrowed down to issue #155, back in 1972 - which I just ponied up a few bucks for on Amazon... a week or so and I may have something to post.
--
Pete Cresswell

To be more clear about what I said, I do understand the idea of "the hunt" when people are genuinely "hunting", pretty much "on their own" and plan to eat what they kill. The part I find distasteful and disgusting is when they aren't really hunting but are just pretending to hunt, like this dentist, and hire guides and use all manner of killing aids and protections for themselves and when their purpose is just pure ego based on the trophy. It takes no great skill to pay a $50,000 fee, hire half a dozen "guides", surround yourself with 2 tons of armored vehicles so the animals can't get to you, and then go "hunt" an animal that is of no value as food and that is more "rounded up" then hunted. And then to do it illegally when you already had the entire deck stacked in your favor to start with but not even that was good enough for your meager skills at "hunting". It would not bother me one bit if someone put an arrow in that dentists abdomen, then stalked him for another 40 hours while he was dying and then some helper put a bullet thru his heart to finish him off. I would not shed a tear. And they should feed his body to the lions. I feel sorry for his family that they know and are related to such a miserable excuse for a human being.