Board-on-board fencing question

We had a new fence installed last week - it is 6ft cedar planks, board- on-board, 8 foot, u-channel steel posts, mounted in concrete.

The fence looks fine, but it doesn't seem as solid as I expected. I can push it with one finger and the whole fence moves (the movement is probably as much as 4" back and forth at the top of the fence). It just feels like someone could push it over fairly easily if they tried. With steel posts in concrete, I was hoping it would be quite a bit stronger, more rigid and resistant to movement. I'm not sure if the posts are bending, or perhaps the concrete foundations weren't set properly or are not big or set deeply enough, which is causing the lack of stability. I called the contractor today and he said that the board-on-board design is not as rigid because the 2x4 cross members are nailed on wide-side against the fence, rather than horizontally. This makes sense, but still it seems to have too much "play". He also should have mentioned the reduced stability of the board-on-board design when selling us the fence.

If anyone has had this type of fence installed, I'd appreciate your comments. Does your fence also have significant movement? I'm not worried about the fence blowing down or anything, just wondering if it'll hold up long term. I also want to get some assurance that the contractor didn't perform faulty work by improperly setting the posts.

Thanks for any feedback.

Reply to
plin321

How far apart are the posts??

Reply to
The Streets

I've had a board on board fence in place for twenty plus years. There are three horizontal members and the 4x4 posts are six feet apart. It is rigid. T

Reply to
AAllc.architects

Either get someone else to watch while you push or you watch and have someone else push and you can easily determine where the movement is

Reply to
dpb

.

with finger "force" you're not going to be about the move a concrete post base in the ground.....unless the holes were sloppy, earth disturbed & not tamped.

Steel fence posts need to be something like 1.5" pipe, I bet your U channel posts are the problem

The bending stiffness of a 4x4 fence post is pretty significant...........those U channels are pretty wimpy by comparison.

what are thre dimensions of the U channel (material thickness, overall width & length of legs) ?

unless tghey're about the size of chain link fence post (minimum) they're going ot be pretty flexible.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I'm aware of what you're referring to. If the posts were mounted

18" to 2 ft deep with Quickcrete cement, 18 inches across the top of each hole, (the 8 ft. post is inserted 2ft deep), and each post is staggered 8 feet to the next one, and each 2 by 4 rail post is mounted against the 4x4 post (or with metal brackets connected each 2x4), then there should be little sway with a finger as you mentioned. I know because I built my fence as highlighted a month ago and it is strong. (I used weather-treated pickets (board), but cedar is better against the rot portion.

The fence should not sway as you suggested. I'd mention to him again as to your dissatisfaction (or mention you'll report his biz to the BBB - court.

--jer--

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 5 Web @

Reply to