BM Venetian plaster application vs. others... why different?

I'm about to embark on a venetian plaster project in our kitchen (faux). Wife likes Benjamin Moore, so thats the venetian plaster we went with. I notice that their application instructions are completely different than the others (Behr, Valspar). While Behr, etc. recommends two coats with a trowel, BM recommends rolling on the first coat, trowel the second... Why the difference? Just to make it easier? I've not seen any venetian plaster instructions that had rolling as an option until Benjamin Moore. Still considering troweling on both coats - seems like that would create more depth, unless some experts here say I should stick to their instructions and roll on the first coat...

I'm confused... :-(

Reply to
JaxDawg

Get some drywall scraps from HD and experiment.

Reply to
RickH