Blue water?

Help! The water coming from my well has a faint blue tint. It has been tested and is bacteria free. I have heard that minerals in the water or the copper pipes could cause this problem. Any suggestions as to what can be done to clear up this up? Thanks.
Could be the copper pipes depending on what kind of water you have, hard, soft,
We had to remove all the copper plumbing from my grandfathers house years ago due to copper sulfate poising he was suffering. Also had the green/blue stains on all the sinks. We installed all CPVC plumbing and his health go a lot better. He was on a well supply (shallow) so most likely the water itself was mostly to blame but I still always see some sign of that color buildup on most copper plumbing. I never use in my house at all, all PVC/CPVC.

can

hard,
years
green/blue
health go a

water
color
been
water or

what
How enlightening. I am sure we have copper pipes from our catchment tanks as this is an old house. Some of my white laundry is turning blue:). From what you've said, I bet the water that sits in the pipes the longest, between washing machine loads, is "bluing" my whites. I did notice something similar happening to the bucket of water in our shower, which catches the drips when we are on drought. I thought it was the Dial soap and the water mixing and turning a lovely shade of blue. Must be the copper pipes.
thanks for the information.
with aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Are you sure it wasn't lead poisoning from lead solder used in pipes?

or
Doctor diagnosed the problem, lead contect was insignificant in the water tests done at the time and no problems with lead found from the blood tests that were run. The doctor diagnosed copper sulfate and the only place we could find it was in the water.

been
what
don h wrote:

Google
copper pipe blue water
returns 91,000 hits. The first of which is:
http://www.awa.asn.au/news&info/copper.asp
Bottom line: "Blue Water" = death.
Intersting information.
I would think that some copper leaching in to water at low levels is not a problem.
In my case with my grandfathers house, it seemed that there was a reation with possibly the PH and minerals that was in the ground water being used that coper sulfate to be formed, which is deadly in any amounts.
I have used cooper sulfate as a poison before. Mostly have used in the past for preserving wood against rot/insects, works great, just have to be real careful.

don h writes:

Order a bottle of copper test strips from http://www.hach.com for about $20. Test for copper concentration.
Pure water is faintly blue in a white bucket. Like a white plaster swimming pool is blue.
City water is green from chloramine disinfection.
I have hear that the reson that pure water in a white container (Bucket, swimming pool, etc) is because of reflection from the sky. Can anyone confim or deny? I like the look of gray plaster pools that make the pool water look darker, I think it looks kinda cool. I don't have a pool though.

Brikp writes:

Nonsense.
Water owes its intrinsic blueness to selective absorption in the red part of its visible spectrum. Because the absorption which gives water its color is in the red end of the visible spectrum, one sees blue, the complementary color of red, when observing light that has passed through several meters of water.

Excuse but the complement of red is green. Complement of blue is orange.

JoKing writes:

Rather naive explanation.
First of all, there is no such physical thing as "color". That is a reification fallacy.
Consider scattering vs absorption of radiation passing through water.
All frequencies are scattered (not just "red") but the degree depends on frequency. Thus the visual impression is tilted towards the higher frequency (less scattered) end, which is to say, what looks blue.
Have a look at the true color of your chloraminated city water fresh from the tap:
http://www.truetex.com/dsc00426.jpg
And the same water after removing the chloramine:
http://www.truetex.com/dsc00450.jpg
You can see this yourself by filling a plain white polyethylene bucket with tap water vs distilled water.
So far no one has mentioned the other possibility. Does your wife (or you) put that blue crap in your toilet tank. The useless stuff that is supposed to clean your toilet? If you do, your toilet ballcock might be siphoning the tank water into the plumbing system.
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:41:29 GMT, "don h"