blue-green crystals forming at gas water heater junctions

Our heater is about 6 months old. We knew the inlet pipe had a tiny leak and have been watching it hoping impurities would fill it up. Instead a soft crystalline growth is forming at several places on the heater and downstream as well.

My husband, a competant handyman and mechanical engineer did the install and We would like help figuring this out. Could the heater sacrificial anode be malfunctioning? I believe all pipes in the house are copper or iron.

We are also experiencing a pressure drop in the hot water lines only.

Reply to
diane e

Hate to say this, but he can't be too competent if he allowed a small leak to continue hoping it will go away on it's own. Sometimes they do, but typically its only after the pipes experience accelerated rusting/corrosion.

You didn't describe the situation that well, what is the inlet pipe made of - iron or copper? What are your hot water pipes overall - iron or copper? Those two answers might help us better understand it.

Reply to
Eigenvector

If you are using copper pipe you should have dielectric couplings where it goes into and out of the steel water heater to avoid electrolysis. Also use a 4 ga copper wire jumper across these pipes to bond the diownstream piping.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have used 2 paRT EPOXY TO STOP MINOR LEAKS.

iTS REALLY BETTER TO TAKE IT APART AND START OVER the corrosion may be attacking the tanks connection area.

Dieelictric unions are a good idea.

If the lkeaks at the tanks connection and you dont fix it one day soon you will need another new tank:( Have that one pro installed its cheaper than buying another new tank:(

Reply to
hallerb