Blown-in Insulation vs. Batting

I got an estimate recently to have blow in installation installed in my attic. Today I priced batting of similar R-value, and it seems the batting materials cost as much as the installed batting.

Is this accurate?

BV.

BenignVanilla

"it seems the batting materials cost as much as the installed batting." Huh???

Reply to
Bob

When I priced having some blown in my attic the minimum price was $400. You can buy a lot of insulation for less than $400 and do it yourself.

Also, Lowes sells bags of the blown type insulation and they also rent the machine that blows it, only problem is, the machine (which my local Lowes has 2 of them) is ALWAYS rented out and they will not put your name on a list so that you can be "in line" to rent it. (stupid)

I have bought bags and just emptied them out by hand, if you have enough attic space (head room) this is easy.

BTW, if you buy a certain number of bags of insulation, use of the machine is free, if you can get one.

Reply to
Ron

"having some blown in my attic the minimum price was $400" "You can buy a lot of insulation for less than $400 and do it yourself."

You can blow the insulation in your attic yourself also. Many building supply houses loan you a blower with the purchase of (?) amount of insulation. Price between the two will not be great. Advantage of blown in, it fills the voids much better, less chance for air infiltration, disadvantage harder to control depth, one heck of a mess should you ever want to do any remodeling involving the ceiling. I used blanket fiber glass and installed it 90 degrees to the original which came up to about the top of ceiling joist. 12" total.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

Sorry, didn't realize I was not clear. I got an estimate from an insulation contractor to install an R30 of blown insulation. At big orange, I checked on insulation prices. They do not sell the blown type, so I looked at the batting. The batting I would need to buy to get to an R30 nearly equals the estimate I was given for the installation of the blown.

I was shocked.

BV.

Reply to
BenignVanilla

Blown in insulation usually gives a tighter seal. With batts, air can come up in between them. The contractor may be able to buy the insulation a lot cheaper than you can. Just make sure he's giving you R-30. There are different types of blown in insulation. They settle differently. Do research on the type he proposes and how thick it should be.

Reply to
Bob