"blown-in" fiber glass insulation without a blower??

Menards is advertising a sale on Johns-Manville "blown-in" fiber glass insulation, but our local store is only a small one, at which this product is available only by special order (2-week wait) and with no machines for rent (never mind "free" as at most of the other stores).

Is there any reasonable way of installing this product without a blower

-- e.g., by raking or otherwise spreading it?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I blew in cellulose. It was compressed so tightly in bags that it was almost solid. It was a job just to break up the chunks to get them into the blower.

The blower mixes air into the insulation and "fluffs" it up.

There's no way I could have broken up the insulation and spread it as evenly by hand as we did with the blower.

Reply to
LM

Reply to
W. Wells

Check out your local gas/electric utility. In Mass, NSTAR will reimburse 1/2 the cost up to a maximum amount of having an approved insulation contractor come in and blow insulation. We did this with fiberglass for a large old farmhouse and it saved us quite a bit.

Reply to
<bks>

Thanks for that tip. Our utility doesn&#39;t have such a program, but a link on their Web site directed me to a Federal/State program of which we might be able to take advantage.

Perce

On 11/07/05 06:21 am bks tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I did some blown cellulose a couple weeks ago. Not really practical without the machine. The machine also takes the packed bales, and chops them up into fluff.

Better off with rolled fiberglass if you can&#39;t get the machine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon