Blown fuse

Page 1 of 3
Someone gave me a 27" TV because it wouldn't work, so I took it home and opened it up, hoping it would be something easy. I found a blown fuse, which I'm hoping is the only problem. The fuse says 5MF5A125V, which I assume means 5 amps 125 volts, but I don't know what the 5MF means. Any ideas? Thanks.
R. Gregg Reed wrote:

Hi, F could mean fast blow. Tony
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:44:31 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"

Jesus H Christ! http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf How do you get through daily life? How did you figure out how to use the newsgroups and not learn how to do a simple Google search.? Google took all of 0.40 seconds to find that link for me. Maybe you should have someone else change that fuse for you before you electrocute yourself??? Bubba

Very well, thank you.

Why do you think I don't know how to do a simple Google search?

And it didn't tell me what I wanted to know. I asked for a definition of "5MF". You seem to have difficulty following simple instructions.

I don't think so. I had someone else look up "5MF" for me, and he fucked it up.
You complain and STILL provide him the information he requested that you think he should be able to track down himself. Way to enable.
This newsgroup exists for these types of questions. Google is a big help in research, but nothing beats the well-timed advice of other DIYers and pros. Thanks to all who answer seemingly stupid questions here.
Merry Christmas.

The information he provided didn't answer my question. All it was was a spec sheet for a fuse with "5MF" in the part number.
I looked at the fuse with a magnifying glass, and it does indeed say "5MF". My roommate drove past Wal Mart after he got off of work, so I called him up and gave him the number and asked him to see if he could find one.
He found a 5 amp 125 volt fuse, but it didn't say "5MF" on it. I wanted to know exactly what "5MF" stood for, so I could tell if it was important. If not, I was going to put the fuse in he got. I searched Google, and got THOUSANDS of answers, none of which explained what the term meant. More than likely the answer is in the 87,432nd answer, but I hate to have to read 87,431 wrong answers first. So I figured I'd ask here.

as would I. Good luck.

Next time this will save you a few key strokes:
http://justfuckinggoogleit.com /

mcm electronics and digikey have great website searches for electronic parts, and digikey gets technical in their online catalog. the internet is international and you can click your country link at: http://www.digikey.com / or i found that no listing came back let's take another look with a magnifier and see if maybe the 5 is an S SM means surface mounted fuse. F may mean fast blow 5A may mean 5 amp 125V may mean 125 volts. with it unplugged, can you alligator jumper it out to a fast blowing 5 amp fuse to see if it lights up when you plug it in with the other hand in your pocket?

They got a bit too technical. They assume I already know what "5MF" stands for.

Magnifying glass wearing reading glasses under a halogen reading lamp. It definitly says "5MF".

No, it's in a holder.

I'd rather not. That's why I wanted to know what "5MF" stands for, so I'll know if it's safe to plug in with a different type of fuse in it.

So the hand isn't grounded. If I'm electrocuted this will insure the current doesn't go from one hand to the other and through my heart. I'm not entirely ignorant of electricity.
Thanks for the help.
R. Gregg Reed wrote:

But I'm afraid you are somewhat so with regard to the english language sir.
Electrocuted means "killed by electric shock", so it really wouldn't matter if the current flowed through your heart or not, would it?
I'm shocked, just shocked.. <G>
Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
My mistake. You're correct. Shocked.

5m maybe 5 millimeter F maybe fast.
i just looked more closely at bubba's link which is http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf and the spec sheet is describing 5mm by 20 mm fuses. thanks again to bubba, who may have over 1200 posts! -bill
Thanks to Bubba? Every post I've read by him has been smart ass and no help.

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:58:38 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"

I tend to be sarcastic to people that have no business doing what they are doing when it could mean electrocution, shock and death. Someone else can help you along with that procedure, not me! If you dont like it, tough chit! You got exactly what you paid for and more. Now go cry in someone else's cereal. Bubba

You too? My wife will be happy to know I'm not the only sarcastic SOB on earth. Well, maybe she still won't care.

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:14:53 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"

I wasn't referring to your physical size. I already have ample evidence that you have a fat head and a big mouth. I was actually referring to your mental size, and I have ample evidence of that, too.

You can't be serious. Do you really expect me to waste my time traveling to where you are just so we can fight over a discussion on Usenet? Oh, I understand. You DON'T expect me to waste my time. That's what you're counting on.