Blower motor died on a 18 year old Furnace. Need advice

Page 3 of 3
sounds like if you could get that bearing lubed, you would be all set for a while anyway or....
I would think you could buy a replacement blower and install it yourself for under $100 and I would certainly do that rather than get a new furnace under duress...
you may find some interesting reading here about efficency and cracked heat exchangers
Bacharach Inc
http://www.bacharach-inc.com
http://www.bacharach-training.com/Tips/Cracked.htm
Mark

My Opinion:
If you can replace the motor for $300 or less, do it.
At some point, have the unit serviced and the heat exchanger checked. I'm running heaters in one building that are 29 years old and just put a new belt on one of the blowers. Bearing were greased on both. I see no reason that they will not last another 10 or more years.
On another boiler, it is 40 years old. I just had some valves and the regulator replaced on the gas train as well as the motor on the burner. Total cost about $1800, but new cost would be $35,000.
If you want a new furnace, get one. If not, fix the blower. With most anything these days, there is always someone with their hand out trying to get your wallet. Blowers are simple devices. Motors are costly but not that outrageous. Anyone that can use hand tools should be able to replace that motor for $100 to $200. Look to grainger.com for motors. You can often find complete blowers at salvage yards for as little as $20. Four bolts and an electrical cable will change the whole thing. Just be sure it fits. One other thought, contact local heating companies and ask them if they have used blowers. Many of them save used blowers when they rip out furnaces. A bad blower is not the end of the world or the furnace to those of us who are handy. If you cant change the motor yourself, see if there is a local handyman who can. I surely would not trash a working furnace because of a fried blower motor. Yes, you will probably get a little better energy efficiency from a new furnace, but look at what you have to pay to save a few BTUs of fuel. Remember, most of those energy figures are exaggerated, just like milage figures on cars. I'm sure you have seen these complaints about car milage on the evening tv news.
I'd get on the web or phone and see what Grainger has for motors, or call those local heating supply companies for a used motor. One other thing, look for a local motor rebuilder. They might be able to rebuild yours for under $100. but be sure to tell them you need this ASAP for heat.
If you can use a box wrench and screwdriver, you CAN remove the motor yourself. (Be sure to SHUT OFF THE POWER, when you do it.)
BTW What is wrong with that motor? Did you forget to oil the bearings? Maybe it's just siezed up? Sometimes a little oil will get it moving again......
Mark