Blower motor died on a 18 year old Furnace. Need advice

Page 1 of 3
Hi. I would like some advice. I have an 18 year old Bryant furnace that seems to work fine. The blower motor went south on it last Friday. The company that I have a service contract with recomends replacement of the entire furnace as it has exceeded its life expectancy. They'll replace the blower on the old one, but are advising against throwing good money after bad. They say about $500 to replace the motor, about $2800 for the new furnace (both installed prices). It's a single family home. The current furnace is 125,000 BTU 60% efficiency, the new one will be 110,000 and more efficient (80%).
Please help me decide what to do. I am leaning towards accepting the advice of replacing the furnace, but was not ready for a big-ticket item just yet. I just want to know what the common sense thing to do would be. The service company is a reputable one and has been servicing this house for many, many years. I just owned this house for about 1.5 years.
Many thanks, Vladimir

I'd call another company.
If those WERE my choices ($500 vs. $2800) I'd go with the new furnace. But the big question is:
$500 for a new motor sound rather high. $2800 for a new furnace sounds rather low. What exactly are you getting?
I'm not there and can't see what you have got....
I thought $500 for a motor is rather high also. I did not get an offical quote on the motor, but I did get an official quote on the furnace. Maybe the motor would be less, like $300, but still they say the furnace that's older than 15 years old is a waste of money to repair.
The furnace I would be getting for $2800 is Bryant 310 something. It is an 80% single stage jobber with an inducer fan. 2 year labor warranty, 5 year parts and 20 years on the heat exchanger. The fuel is gas, BTW. It is not the fancy wiz-bang 90% furnace with two heat exchangers and variable speed motor, etc. The motor is not variable speed, though it has 4 speeds that can be set long term. I live in Washington DC area, so no severe winters here, but still gets cold and nasty.
I am handy and can replace the blower myself if I knew where to get one.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
-snip-

I got mine here-- they were super fast [2 days to NY] & the moter has been running quietly for 3-4 years now. http://shop.emotorstore.com/estore/SearchMainPage.asp?mscssidR9e684375f94c01caab781b6a06b553
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

http://shop.emotorstore.com/estore/SearchMainPage.asp?mscssidR9e684375f94c01caab781b6a06b553
I would expect to be able to get any reasonably standard motor locally in any decent sized city. In my case, a few minutes with Google turned up the 800 number of GE technical support, and calling them led to a supplier a few miles from my house. Good thing, too, because my house temperature was dropping fast.

First, buy one for $60 and install it yourself. Or call local hvac to install one. Don't forget to change run cap. ( Also it is a good idea to discharge existing cap prior to swap )
As for $2800 for bryant 310 no thanks, this is builder model ( worth about $600 ) I would ask for 312 only few $ more, or even better go with 90%s.
Don't listen to idiots who claim they only install "own" motors, even if they do, plenty of others that will.
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:17:38 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"

We charge 477.00 for a new motor. One option we also offer is this: we put in the new motor and if you buy a new furnace from us we will credit the price of the motor towards the furnace. We give 30 days for this deal then all bets are off.
"The current furnace is 125,000 BTU 60% efficiency, the new one will be 110,000 and more efficient (80%). "
I wouldn't spend $500 to repair a 60% efficiency furnace. I didn't even know they went that low 18 years ago. You didn't specify the fuel but if you intend on staying in the house for more than a few years and it's anywhere with cold winters, I'd go with a 90% or better furnace.
The fuel is gas and 90% furnace is waaaay more expensive as they need to vent it differently than my existing one. The 90% would probably be in the $4K neighborhood, but I did not get a quote for that. I don't think I would recoup the extra cost...
Your present furnace is probably 80%, yes they lied, 500 for a blower , thats apx 350 to much. Replace an 80 with an 80% not smart all they want is your money. Of course no written load calc was done. A 94% unit should be apx 29-3200.
Your present furnace is probably 80%, yes they lied, 500 for a blower , thats apx 350 to much. Replace an 80 with an 80% not smart all they want is your money. Of course no written load calc was done. A 94% unit should be apx 29-3200.
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:48:18 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Exactly where do you think "they lied"? You think a professional HVAC company is going to come out and change a motor for $150!!! I dont want to start a flame war here Ransley because lately you have been pretty much right on with your comments. The motor is going to cost$150 to install??!! No where is this going to happen except by a side jobber or hack. $500 is close give or take a hundred or so. Thats pretty damn close to my book rate. Personally (To the OP) I dont think Id replace the motor even if you could do it yourself. Get 3 estimates by reputable HVAC contractors for a new furnace. Dont just get any 3 ol bids. Do a little homework. If you have to, go buy or rent a few heaters to get you by a couple days or so while you do your homework. With the price of gas, Id consider a 90% eff furnace. The two stage and variable is mainly just a matter of your creature comfort level. Keep in mind, if you are removing a fuel burning appliance from your chimney and leaving a lone gas water heater in that chimney, you may need to have it lined to keep the chimney from getting condensation damage. Good Luck Bubba
(m Ransley)

We are cheap and we charge $120 just for the service call. I doubt we could find a $30 motor somewhere.....
$500.00 is too high. We normally replace a direct drive 3 speed blower motor dor $200 - $250, including diagnosis. Allowing for higher labor & overhead in DC area, maybe $350.00. Also, you need a load calculation done. Note that although the firing efficiency is 80%, the AFUE may be only 60% due to off cycle flue losses. Still, I would lean toward 90% if I replaced the furnace. Your reputable company doesn't sound so high-standard to me. Just a bigger bunch of hacks.
Stretch
: $500.00 is too high. We normally replace a direct drive 3 speed blower : motor dor $200 - $250, including diagnosis. Allowing for higher labor : & overhead in DC area, maybe $350.00. Also, you need a load : calculation done. Note that although the firing efficiency is 80%, the : AFUE may be only 60% due to off cycle flue losses. Still, I would lean : toward 90% if I replaced the furnace. Your reputable company doesn't : sound so high-standard to me. Just a bigger bunch of hacks. : : Stretch : And speaking of hacks, this thread sure drew a lot of them out!
Pop wrote:

That's a good term "hack." Near as I can tell in this group it means an individual that repairs his own stuff (no matter how qualified) instead of having a "professional" do it and especially if he does it for 30 percent of the "professional" cost even if he uses the same materials and techniques.
OTOH, "lousy repair work" seems never used, maybe because it doesn't distinguish between a "professional" and a "non-professional." And, "rip-off" seems to be seldom used by any "professional" with respect to pricing.
If you've been paying for a service contract, have them replace the blower motor. Then, next spring, get prices and advice from 3 or 4 HVAC contractors. If you're planning on living there for 3 or more years, a 90+ furnace is worth it. They only use PVC for a vent, so unless you don't have an outside wall there should be no problem.
The basic cost of the furnace is higher than an 80+ furnace, but if you've got an old chimney, it may need to be relined. 110MBH is way too big for most houses. Have the HVAC companies do a heat loss/gain. Even after that's done, you still need to consider the size of the duct work, and size accordingly.

[...]
Hi,
I would get another bid to replace that motor if it were me. Most vendors will give you a bid for free, so what can you lose. If this vendor has the best price, then i would replace the blower motor and save the new furnace for later.
Frankly, the $500 cost replacement for the blower motor seems a little high from what I have seen in this area. However, I don't know your particular unit, so can't really know. I just know that two years ago, I replaced the blower motor on my mother's Majestic furnace (was 40 year old furnace), and it cost me a total of $275 bucks and that price including cleaning the furnace when they replaced it. That furnace is running today very well and the first company that took a look at it recommended the same thing that you have been told. I never regretted calling that second company.
That is my personal opinion on this issue..
--
Tumbleweed36
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:38:49 -0500, Tumbleweed36

Most companies will give you a free bid on replacing your equipment. None hardly will give you a free bid on repairs. That would be utter insanity Bubba