Blower motor?

Page 1 of 3
Just a question regarding the blower motor on my furnace. I just had the evaporator AC coil replaced. I mentioned to him that even before it went bad the home does not seem to stay cool for long. He told me to leave the fan switch on the thermostat to on so that it blows 24/7
Well needless to say that makes a huge difference as the compressor isn't needed as much.
My concern is will this shorten the life of the motor? And, is it ok to leave the fan on 24/7 for 2, 3, 4, 5 days? My thinking is to leave it on for whatever the duration of the heatwave. Correct?
Thanks...
BE

I was told that it wouldn't, but I've replaced my motor twice in 8 years. I leave mine run 24/h a day 7 days a week.
HopsNBarley wrote:

How can leaving it running 24/7 <not> have an effect (eventually)?
That said, it's a design mode and won't kill it in just a short time as OP is concerned about...
Me

years. I

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Eventually, but you would think there would be more of an effect turning the motor on and off all the time.
Glenn
HopsNBarley wrote:

Different effect, but both are design conditions...
motors are a lot cheaper to replace every 8 years, than the cost of paying for all of that compressor time you don't need

Fan motors are cheap and easy to replace. I've done it once. Don't worry about it.
Generaly, when you leave the fan switch on, on. it is not in cooling mode, it is in fan mode. I may be wrong but i thing he may have ment run the A/C 24-7, in other words, set it at a decent temp. and leve it be. dont cut it on when it is to hot, by that time it has to work twice as hard to catch up. The squirl cage fan stays cool to a certain extent when running, like a car, it blows air over and around the moter to keep it cool. hope this helped

That was not my interpretation at all. Some furnaces have a switch that allows you to run the fan even if the thermostat does not call for heat or cooling. It is separate, mounted on the blower, not the one on the thermostat. That may be the situation here. I've seen systems designed to have constant running blowers for just that reason, to distribute the air and keep the temperature more constant. Some drop to a lower speed setting.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Any decent thermostat has a switch for automatic operation and fan on, and the fan will operate whether in cool, heat, or off mode. Note I said "decent thermostat." I'm sure there are lots of primitive controls out there, but why one wouldn't spend $40 or so for a modern digital thermostat is beyond me.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

plus some furnaces dont like the blower on while the gas is starting up. Not sure about A/C though.
Whats the electricity impact of this?
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
I believe that he was being advised to run the fan 24/7 during the cooling season. I sounds as if the air in his house quickly stratified during the compressor off cycles. His nice cool air was quickly sinking to the basement. The cheapest way to work around this is to keep the air continuously circulating.
============================= All in One Service and Repair wrote in message
Generaly, when you leave the fan switch on, on. it is not in cooling mode, it is in fan mode. I may be wrong but i thing he may have ment run the A/C 24-7, in other words, set it at a decent temp. and leve it be. dont cut it on when it is to hot, by that time it has to work twice as hard to catch up. The squirl cage fan stays cool to a certain extent when running, like a car, it blows air over and around the moter to keep it cool. hope this helped

Or course it will, the question is how much? Anything mechanical will eventually wear out. Quality motors with quality bearings can last for many years. I know of some that have been running 16 to 24 hours a day for well over 10 years with no problems. I know of some that went to crap in a year. While you will be using the blower motor more, you already noted the compressor (the more expensive part) is running less, so why not take advantage of that?
Keep in mind that starting and stopping also puts a strain on things. Compressors are often rated with having a maximum of X number of starts per hour.
BE wrote:

Sorry, but that is an illogical conclusion. The only component of the air conditioning system that removes heat is that of the refrigeration (compressor-condenser-evaporator) cycle. Running a circulation fan only redistributes the existing air. Over the long term the compressor has to run equally long to remove a given amount of heat.

compressor
the
refrigeration
only
has
Not an illogical conclusion at all if the house has poor air circulation. I've measured air temp deltas of 15 degrees or more between floor and thermostat with registers and cold air returns at floor level...
Rick wrote:

Regardless, running the blower to circulate air won't reduce the total load on the compressor.

at
total
But it sure will reduce the running time if the air is mixed...
Rick wrote:

Maybe maybe not.
It will reduce the running time if the problem is hard to heat room(s) (like lots of sunny windows or a second story room), it might increase running time if the air in the room is stratified with hot at the top and cool at people levil. Pushing the cooler air up to the top (roof overhead?) would cause it to absorb more heat from the ceiling - roof.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Well, it certainly seems to have increased the hot air circulating in a.h.r... :)
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Doesn't take much for that to happen 8-)