Blow in Cellulose

I have a section of lower-level ceiling behind drywall next to the rim joist that is cold. I'd like to insulate it. I remember reading in this newsgroup that someone took a leaf blower and blew cellulose with some success.

Has anyone done that with good results? I don't want to hire a company for such a small job.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Not knocking cellulose, but you are likely to get condensation next to a rim joist, unless you can install a vapor barrier. I'd recommend cutting rigid foam to fit and using a foam gun to get a good seal between the foam and the wood.

Reply to
marson

I love cellulose- but I'm with Marson on this one. I'd go at it first with expanding foam on the coldest day of the year & locate all the infiltration points. Then I'd use rigid foam sealed with the expanding stuff.

Cellulose installed with a leave blower is an exercise in futility.

The machine to blow cellulose is usually a free loan when you buy the cellulose from the big box stores--- But filling a 10" cavity for just a few feet is not cellulose's strong suit. Wall cavities and attics are.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

No vapor barrier required with cellulose in most climates.

S. Barker

It certainly turns to grey sludge in Florida

Reply to
gfretwell