Blocking perfume odors in bathroom cabinets?

A previous tenant apparently spilled perfume of some sort in one of the cabinets. We've tried to get rid of the residual odor by painting it over with shellac, but it's still pretty strong after 3 years.
There was a thread on here recently that talked about wood cabinets and shellac, but these are made of dense particle board with a veneer of 1/32" white plastic. They seem to be quality construction.
I wonder if anyone has tried Kilz or an acrylic lacquer, or has any comments on those or other finishes for blocking odors.

It's obviously had time to sink in, particle board is like a sponge, and probably gotten into the seams. Scrub with a unperfumed liquid dish detergent, they break down the oils. Then you might try a bleach water mix, or ammonia water mix. PLEASE don't do ammonia and bleach together.

It may have permeated so far into the particle board that sealing just the exposed surface won't do it. It may even permeat surrounding maerial. Can the offending piece be cut out and replaced?
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net