Blocking for a vent

The vents holes under my sister's house are one cinder block square.
The cheap vent covers were nailed in place by just driving nails into the mortar joints. Her dogs push them out to get under her house.
My solution will be to just take some one inch thick wood and cut the pieces the same size as the cinder block and wedge them around the opening and screw the vents to the wood.
Any better solutions?

Fasten them permanently to the block w/ anchors or powder-actuated studs. If they need to be removable for any reason, use threaded studs or the anchors...

The vent covers are only slightly larger than the opening. Anchors might work without breaking the block. I don't think using a Hilti gun on the edge of a cinder block would turn out too good.
Thanks

There are vent covers that have little spring loaded hooks on the back that hold tightly to brick holes or grates. You might check hardware stores for those. No tools needed, but they might have to be adapted to cinder block vents, as they work best with 1 inch mesh grating vents. Roger

I've been amazed at the strength of today's construction adhesives.
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com