Blocking access under the stage

Some truth in that. We (churches near me) had a stow away for a while.

.

Find some homeless person to occupy the space in return for chasing the kids away.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know what your theology teaches.

I'm pretty sure Jesus would have fed and cared for him/her.

Reply to
TimR

I crawled in, today. To see what is stored there. Found a white piece of laminate, that looks like someone else tried to make a door. It has two tiny hinges, and two screw eyes, and a padlock. Looks like someone else built a door, and the little darlings tore it loose.

I'm planning to build a door, and padlock it. See if I can make it strong enough to resist teenagers. If they rip loose the door I put on, or cut the padlock off, I'll start using terms like breaking and entering, destruction of property, trespassing, and Sherrifs Department.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Make door of a steel plate with all fasteners inside. armor around padlock to make cutting it hard. paint it black to make it look more formidable

then fill the secured area with loose fill itchy fiberglass.

some signs this area protected by a security system cant hurt:)

start a rumor someone died in there........ securing it was done so it cant happen again...

just make it easier to go back to the woods:)

Just make it not worth the effort to break in:)

Reply to
bob haller

Most likely so. Sadly Jesus didn't have a bunch of attorneys writing regulations for his meeting houses back in the Apostolic days. The LDS church does have a really great welfare program for those in need. The stow away in question had been LDS, but didn't do a very good job of working within the system.

.

I don't know what your theology teaches.

I'm pretty sure Jesus would have fed and cared for him/her.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, that's excellent ideas. Might not get the local leadership to approve them, but good ideas. Have to look into armor plate, and bang rivets.

.

Make door of a steel plate with all fasteners inside. armor around padlock to make cutting it hard. paint it black to make it look more formidable

then fill the secured area with loose fill itchy fiberglass.

some signs this area protected by a security system cant hurt:)

start a rumor someone died in there........ securing it was done so it cant happen again...

just make it easier to go back to the woods:)

Just make it not worth the effort to break in:)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

steel or alunimum diamond plate looks tough, use carriage bolts with nuts on inside so theres nothing to unscrew on the outside:)

you could get a local welding shop to weld the carriage bolts in place on the outside, while welding some armor like protrusions around the padlock area. a sign this area filled with loose fill itchy fiberglass might help too

make it look really strong even if it isnt......

tink visual deterrent:)

Reply to
bob haller

Thursday May 14. I'd found a white particle board door (with two cheap hinges, and a couple screw eyes, and a padlock) under the stage. Figured this might have been earlier attempt to close the stage. On Thursday, I cut the board to shape, to better fit into the hole. Put on a couple bigger hinges, and a hasp for a padlock. Instead of the screw eyes.

Friday May 15, I installed the door, closing the access. We'll see how long that lasts. The last blocker lasted about a week.

.

There is access about 24 x width of two stud bays. About 20 wide. I put in another stud there, to block access. The kids took it out (couple drywall screws, no big deal). I guess they didn't get the point "stay out" or got the point, and don't care. I'm looking for a cheap way to block the access. Ideally, it should be removable so the maint department can get in later.

I've got a few ideas, but I'm sure you'd have some ideas that would not occur to me.

Plan at the moment is replace the stud, and put some gorilla glue on the ends, so it's glued in good. Put a couple bars horizontal. Wood, or metal, not sure. Attach the horizontals with drilled torx screws, or maybe one way slope screws. Carpet ring nails, maybe.

I've got some wardrobe shelf I can cut to shape to make a grille, but not sure how to anchor that. Also thinking refrigerator shelf or oven shelf cut to size.

Others have suggested to cut a solid door to shape, use NRP hinges, and some kind of lock. That could work.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I still don't quite understand how the teenagers have unlimited access to this area. Where is this stage that the teenagers can get into the area and rip out 2x4's? Most church stages that I've seen are in rooms that can be locked. How is that the teenagers can be so destructive without getting caught?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Remember, these are Mormon teens. Mormons are very defiant, going against the flow is in their blood.

Hell, look at our resident top-poster if you don't believe me. ;-)

Reply to
Pthirus Pubis

Not sure it's unlimited, but some of the teens borrow their parents key to the building to play basketball, etc. The area in question is under the stage. Which is at the other end of the building from the chapel. This area is not locked (other than being inside the building.) Oh, and I put a door across the access, with hinges and hasp and padlock. Not sure how long that will help.

Christ> I still don't quite understand how the teenagers have unlimited access to

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tues March 26, 2013

I was in the building, today. Had a look. Someone kicked in the door I put up. Kicked with enough force to break the door at the hinges (top and bottom) and also bend severely the hasp.

I called the church's maint group, who took the job out of my control. They figure to cover the opening with liquid nails, plywood, screws.

I've also sent photos to the local leadership, with reccmendation they call the sherrifs department. Breaking and entering, trespassing, destruction of property. I expect they will handle the matter on a local level, and not call the sherrifs.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon