Blocking access under the stage

Page 1 of 2
Technical challenge. Under the stage at church, is an area which the teens discovered as a hide out. No adults, no lights. Not safe.
There is access about 24 x width of two stud bays. About 20 wide. I put in another stud there, to block access. The kids took it out (couple drywall screws, no big deal). I guess they didn't get the point "stay out" or got the point, and don't care. I'm looking for a cheap way to block the access. Ideally, it should be removable so the maint department can get in later.
I've got a few ideas, but I'm sure you'd have some ideas that would not occur to me.
Plan at the moment is replace the stud, and put some gorilla glue on the ends, so it's glued in good. Put a couple bars horizontal. Wood, or metal, not sure. Attach the horizontals with drilled torx screws, or maybe one way slope screws. Carpet ring nails, maybe.
I've got some wardrobe shelf I can cut to shape to make a grille, but not sure how to anchor that. Also thinking refrigerator shelf or oven shelf cut to size.
Others have suggested to cut a solid door to shape, use NRP hinges, and some kind of lock. That could work.
On Mar 11, 4:51 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Chuck some cat shit/other smelly substance. in. That will deter them.
On Mar 11, 12:51 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

How are the teenagers getting access to the access? Seems to me that if they have access to an area that allows them to use tools to remove a 2 x 4 or if they just ripped the 2 x 4 out without being seen/heard, then you need to figure out a way to secure *that* area. You know the old warning about "once they get into the garage, they can spend all the time they need getting into the house, therefore you need to secure the garage".
Aside from that....
If the configuration is right, you could drill through the studs sideways and put horizontal pipes through the holes with a lock on the end. Once the lock is removed, the pipe would slide out for access. The last stud would only be drilled halfway through to accept the unlocked end of the pipe.
Not having a clear picture of the entire layout, it's a little hard to be more specific. Seems like even a piece of plywood or lattice with enough screws in it would make it inconvenient for the teenagers who probably don't want to spend too much time or make too much noise sneaking in.
Maybe get one of these:
http://www.mysecuritysign.com/img/lg/D/Alarm-System-Aluminum-Door-Sign-DP-0 094.gif
If you want to have some fun, rig up a system that lets them in but doesn't let them out. Leave them a old cell phone and a phone number to call so they aren't trapped for too long. That ought to deter any future transgressions.
On the other hand, I just can't imagine that teenagers in a church would be doing anything wrong. I mean, when I was in the Teen Club at my church we never did...oh...wait...yes we did. Boy oh boy, did we ever!
Hmm. I'd not thought of the pipes and padlock bit. Have to see if that might work.
Most of the area under the stage, has nailed on plywood over the bays. Flooring ring nails, maybe. I'd thought of wardrobe shelving or lattice, to cover the opening.
Thanks for some good ideas.
If the configuration is right, you could drill through the studs sideways and put horizontal pipes through the holes with a lock on the end. Once the lock is removed, the pipe would slide out for access. The last stud would only be drilled halfway through to accept the unlocked end of the pipe.
Not having a clear picture of the entire layout, it's a little hard to be more specific. Seems like even a piece of plywood or lattice with enough screws in it would make it inconvenient for the teenagers who probably don't want to spend too much time or make too much noise sneaking in.
I crawled in, today. To see what is stored there. Found a white piece of laminate, that looks like someone else tried to make a door. It has two tiny hinges, and two screw eyes, and a padlock. Looks like someone else built a door, and the little darlings tore it loose.
I'm planning to build a door, and padlock it. See if I can make it strong enough to resist teenagers. If they rip loose the door I put on, or cut the padlock off, I'll start using terms like breaking and entering, destruction of property, trespassing, and Sherrifs Department.
On Mar 13, 7:22 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Make door of a steel plate with all fasteners inside. armor around padlock to make cutting it hard. paint it black to make it look more formidable
then fill the secured area with loose fill itchy fiberglass.
some signs this area protected by a security system cant hurt:)
start a rumor someone died in there........ securing it was done so it cant happen again...
just make it easier to go back to the woods:)
Just make it not worth the effort to break in:)
You know, that's excellent ideas. Might not get the local leadership to approve them, but good ideas. Have to look into armor plate, and bang rivets.
Make door of a steel plate with all fasteners inside. armor around padlock to make cutting it hard. paint it black to make it look more formidable
then fill the secured area with loose fill itchy fiberglass.
some signs this area protected by a security system cant hurt:)
start a rumor someone died in there........ securing it was done so it cant happen again...
just make it easier to go back to the woods:)
Just make it not worth the effort to break in:)
On Mar 14, 8:35 am, "Stormin Mormon"

steel or alunimum diamond plate looks tough, use carriage bolts with nuts on inside so theres nothing to unscrew on the outside:)
you could get a local welding shop to weld the carriage bolts in place on the outside, while welding some armor like protrusions around the padlock area. a sign this area filled with loose fill itchy fiberglass might help too
make it look really strong even if it isnt......
tink visual deterrent:)
Please try this link:
Should take you to a couple photos, to see what I see.
You're looking for a mechanical solution to avoid having to address a human behavior problem.
It's doomed to failure. You're just going to challenge smart kids to outthink you.
Already happened once.... I did put a stud in the bay, and they took it out.
You're looking for a mechanical solution to avoid having to address a human behavior problem.
It's doomed to failure. You're just going to challenge smart kids to outthink you.
That's why locks and keys were invented.
And, yes, people still break in.
You're looking for a mechanical solution to avoid having to address a human behavior problem.
It's doomed to failure. You're just going to challenge smart kids to outthink you.
On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:02:24 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Top post often?
It's still dumb trying to engineer your way out of this one. There must be a youth director who has rapport with teens, talk to them.
Explain to them WHY they shouldn't be in there. If your reason is a good one, they'll honor it. If it is not, then you're wrong to keep them out.
If you insist on engineering it, don't block access. Remove ALL the covering so whatever they do is exposed to view.

t be a youth director who has rapport with teens, talk to them.

od one, they'll honor it.  If it is not, then you're wrong to keep them o ut.

vering so whatever they do is exposed to view.
Find some homeless person to occupy the space in return for chasing the kids away.
Some truth in that. We (churches near me) had a stow away for a while.
Find some homeless person to occupy the space in return for chasing the kids away.
On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:47:47 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't know what your theology teaches.
I'm pretty sure Jesus would have fed and cared for him/her.
Most likely so. Sadly Jesus didn't have a bunch of attorneys writing regulations for his meeting houses back in the Apostolic days. The LDS church does have a really great welfare program for those in need. The stow away in question had been LDS, but didn't do a very good job of working within the system.
On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:47:47 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't know what your theology teaches.
I'm pretty sure Jesus would have fed and cared for him/her.
On 03/11/13 10:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Your link wants me to create or sign in to a yahoo account. I don't have one and I don't want one.
Bother. I thought I had the settings on that group so that the archives were open to the public at large. I didn't think it would do the Yahoo account routine. Sorry about that. And, thanks for telling me what happened.
On 03/11/13 10:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Your link wants me to create or sign in to a yahoo account. I don't have one and I don't want one.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a similar problem with the Yahoo Group photos. I actually have a Yahoo ID but didn't want to have to submit it to get to a site or group that I don't know about.
Maybe you could try one of the following photo upload sites (I use the first one):
http://tinypic.com/ http://beta.photobucket.com/ http://postimage.org/ http://www.tinyuploads.com/