blocked plumbing vent - need advice

Sounds like video line inspection isn't going to help me very much. The blockage probably has an inch of other debris sitting on top of it, so the video wouldn't show us anything. The vent pipe is only about an inch and half in diameter, so it's unlikely that it is a lost squirell blocking the vent. Probably just a bunch of leaves and shingle gravel that has built up into a solid mud.

Reply to
wanna sandwich

If they have a tricked-out camera, they might be able to manuever it in from below. Then again, such a camera service might cost you more. I wonder if your kids or the kids of a previous owner might have gotten on the roof and jammed a ball/rock/toy down the vent. Maybe some varmint/bird decided to stash some object that smelled like food down your vent for safe keeping.

Have you tried a shop vac? I'm thinking a little upward force might help. If it's something like a rock or toy, the previous ramming might have wedged it in too hard for a vacuum to shift things. :(

Reply to
yellowbirddog

One other thing: You mentioned you used a hose "balloon". While I like those and they typically work well, they expand and would keep any debris trapped if the clog doesn' t dislodge.

To get the surface junk out, put a regular garden hose down the pipe until it stops and then turn on the hose full blast and wait as junk flows out the top with the water flow. Even if it doesn't dislodge or erode away the entire blockage, it'll help a camera see what the underlying problem is.

BTW, it doesn't hurt to put a small nozzle at the end when doing this for greater erosive effect.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

A GOOD shop vac might pull it out. If you can't get the hose in, tape it to a piece of pvc that will fit into the vent pipe. I wouldn't take a chance on losing the wand.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

This might work with slip-fit rubber flashing. But if he has lead flashing tucked down into the vent pipe, any water that rises will go into the attic.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

They make nozzles for garden hoses that are designed to maximize the force of the stream. Brass, cost about 2 dollars.

Another idea would be to drill a half inch hole below the clog and push a 3/8" rod up the push the clog up. Don't know about tile pipes, if one could do this.

If you can get close enough to the clog, you can use a spade bit from the bottom, or conceivable from the side.

Reply to
mm