Block retaining wall project question

I have a space between my cabin and the sloping hill behind that is about three feet wide. I want to put up a retaining wall that will be about four feet high. Behind that, I will fill in an approximately 3' x 3' x square root of 27' wedge of fill dirt to come to the top of the wall. I can put block returns on at the ends, and a couple of places along the run to give it extra stability and support. There won't be a lot of pressure on it from the hill, as there will be no traffic, and the existing hillside has compacted for thousands of years now. Just some pressure from the fill.

How should I do the footer? How deep, and what, about one course down from ground level? Lots of rebar both horizontal and vertical? Grout solid?

Oh, yes, this will all have to be done with a mixer and bag cement, as there is no cement delivery where my cabin is.

Input, please.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

How about tying old tires together with synthetic rope, parallel to the ground?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Is the hill going up, or down behind the cabin? Is the property line or another boundary close enough to be a factor? If so, how close? What climate conditions are typical for the area? What's the approximate slope of the hill? Is there a way to get a vehical behind the cabin on the far side of the wall?

Reply to
Goedjn

If you use block you will need a footing. Block is not that great as a retaining wall. What is easier and stronger is the dry stack blocks made to be used for retaining walls. They are 12" thick and interlock with a set back on each course. No footing just a level trench of stone to set them on. No mixing mortar/concrete at all.

Reply to
calhoun

retaining walls always fall down given enough time, slope the hill and plant ground cover unless you really want to rebuild wall for rest of your life.

Reply to
hallerb