Block layer string block

I went to a home show, and they were giving these away. It's a piece of wood, L shaped, grooves in it. It is used to hold the line on the outside corner of blocks at a corner to use a guide for the next course.
I have googled about every combination of blocklayer, string, blocklayer's tools, blocklayer's hand tools, anchor, etc, etc, that I can think of, and can't find one that shows me how to wind the string on there.
Help out an old fart here. I know it's gotta be so very simple, but right now, it's got me baffled.
Steve

My best guess would be that you tie in on with a slip knot and then wind a time or two to take out the slack.
That is the way I always do it with my field engineered solutions.
--
Colbyt

'Wood line block' is what I've called them. Sometimes the span is short enough, the notch is thin enough and the string is coarse enough to just pull em tight with friction. Other times I've done things as inelegant as sitting a block on the loose end of the string.
Jim
On 8/18/11 3:12 PM, Steve B wrote:

see if the picture here helps
http://bullnoselineblock.com/default.aspx
or Google using bricklayer's block ^^^^^
YMMV