Blinds hard to open, can I lube with silicone?

I have the cheapo window blinds from Borg Depot. These things are notorious for becomeing harder and harder to open.

Strong ratcheting sound as the spinning mechanism that the strings pull against rub against the plastic.

How do I lube metal-on-plastic parts like that?

Certainly not a hydrocarbon based lube....that could eat the plastic, right? Will silicone oose out and make a mess of the string?

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Try a dab of lithium, you got nothing to lose at this point.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Are you talking about the medication? :)

Reply to
Eigenvector

That might work too.

Reply to
Meat Plow

At $3.65 for the smaller sizes, and around $6 for the larger, why even bother?

At that price, I replace the ones on my rentals between tenants when they are dirty.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

be sure they are completely open before opening

Reply to
JMJ

Be sure they are open before opening??

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

...and another case made for bottom posting made...

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Thomas G. Marshall said something like:

...and another case made for correct grammar...

Criminey, some days...

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

And be sure they are closed before closing??

Yes.

Reply to
mm

Spray silicone won't hurt anything and is the only product you can safely use.

Since you mentioned cord. Are these wand or cord tilt?

If they are the 1" vinyl just trash them and buy some more. The 2" faux wood is worth a modest amount of effort.

If this is a vertical blind, liberally spray the inside of the headrail and that will almost always solve the problem.

Will be glad to follow up on this if you post more detailed info.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

replying to Meat Plow, Sher-Bo wrote: LOL!

Reply to
Sher-Bo