bleeding rust on Maytag refrigerator door

Has anyone experienced rust bleeding through the outer door panel on Maytag refrigerators? Most noticeable under the ice/water center. Could you please let me know your experiences and if your problem was resolved. Thank you.

Reply to
Penny

ufreund had written this in response to

: Our Maytag side-by-side has rusted through completely in the are under the water/ice dispenser. It appears the sheet metal was cut without being painted - no paint on the edge whatsoever. That's poor workmanship IMO. Especially in an area where you would expect spills. So much for Maytag "quality".

We can not afford to replace it right now so I sanded the area down as best I could and sprayed it with epoxy. It's better than looking at rust but still looks like crap.

I never contacted Maytag about it because it's out of warranty. My wife used to love their products but after this they've lost us as customers, period. Check Consumer Reports to see how poor their products perform these days. Almost every other brand has better ratings. Sad.

Udo Freund

------------------------------------- Penny wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 306460 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ufreund

-------------------------------------

Reply to
leonjsue_at_aol_dot_com

I have a side by side and door is rusting all the way across below the ice dispenser as well as about two inches up each side. I purchased in 2011 and kept renewing extended warranties since the ice makes only last a few years. I was told the extended warranties only cover mechanical parts and rust is excluded.

My opinion of Maytag products is that they are not the Maytag that had a good reputation and I will never purchase their brand again. I have have a Maytag washing machine that was not satisfactory. Don

Reply to
Don R

Back around 2000, my Mom had a Maytag refrigerator that I liked, so I bought a wider version of the same model for my house. For several years now, it has rust around the hinge separating the top freezer door and the lower refrigerator door. There is also an occasional dribble on the floor when I open the door.

Water in room air condenses on the cool surfaces around the freezer. The refrigerator has heating elements around the door seals, that keep the surface warm. The problem occurs when the heating element fails.

Your extended warranty may not cover the rust, but it SHOULD cover the heating element.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie