Blacktop Repair

The blacktop driveway close to Garage door have sunk in couple of spots collecting water during the rain. I would like to fill this spots and level them so that it becomes even with rest of driveway and water doesnot collect. The blacktop otherwise doesnot have any issues so far. The depession should be around a feet wide with gradual depression depth fo around 1 -2 inch.
Request solutions to fill the depression on Blacktop.
Regards
AT
AT wrote the following:

You can buy cold patch (asphalt in bags, like concrete) at the big box stores. I've used it on my driveway.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

At least where I live (New Rochelle, NY), lots of rocks, boulders, etc under the ground, gotta first ask WHY it sunk down.
Maybe poke a hole (if bottom of hole is soft?), and maybe you'll see big black hole going way down (maybe water flowed underground and washed out whatever was between the rocks, etc).
This is probably a problem unique to only certain areas of the U.S. -- but just thought I'd better mention it, just in case.
David

I had a similar situation. I used a cold patch compound that came in a pail. Used a trowel to lay it on and then packed it down. Had boon OK for a few years now.

Packing down is important, applying the patch on a hot day to make it more packable helps. After the patch has weathered for a few weeks, but before the first freezing weather, applying driveway sealer will help close up pores which could collect water during the winter (if you live in northern climes).
hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote the following:

little higher than the surrounding asphalt. Then I take a piece of 3/4" plywood (doesn't everyone have a piece in their shop?) and brush some motor oil on it (new or dirty, doesn't matter) to keep the asphalt from sticking to the board, then driving over it a few times with the car (in my case a pickup truck).
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 6/5/2011 10:38 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

ISTR you also need to roughen up the surface in the depressed part, to give the patch something to latch onto. If the old surface is smooth to the touch or greasy, the patch may pop right back out.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote the following:

either gasoline or motor oil (it could be vegetable oil, but not likely). Asphalt is a petroleum product, like motor oil or gasoline. The asphalt will stick. I've done it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

find a neighbor getting a new asphalt driveway, offer the crew some cash to fix your problem, asphalt jobs always have some extra material.
such a repair will look better and be far more durable than cold patch

the proper repair cut out the damaged asphalt area, dig down and repair replace base, then reasphalt area, roll or wacker tamp well then wait a month for new asphalt to harden, fill all cracks so rain cant infiltrate and seal entire driveway.
it will look brand new:)
dont drive on repaired areas for at least a week or two so you dont create new divots...