blackout and soundproof drapery

Hope someone here can help with suggestions.
I'm moving to a condo apartment that is very close to a major highway, faces south-east and I'm a light sleeper. yeah.. I know.. but the thing is I think I'll be fine as long as I can keep the bedroom reasonably quiet and dark. I don't care if the bedroom windows are ever open. I know that I'll get used to the noise, but really prefer a quiet sleep in a dark room if possible.
The rules for the condo are white, or light coloured drapery for the windows. The windows themselves are hung on the outside of the building, so there is a 6" indent in the wall where the windows are.
I was thinking that I could pickup some thick Styrofoam insulation and just paint it white, or glue some old Venetians to it and jam it into the window cavity, but I'm worried about condensation on the window and potential damage. I'm in the Toronto are of Canada and so the winters can be quite cold and the summers hot and humid.
Suggestions and/or comments welcome.
tia
Peter H

Draperies with blackout lining will take care of this.
A more economical approach would be to buy blackout lining and have someone sew it to cover the window as an ungathered (flat) panel. Then install it with staples or thumb tacks.
The lining can be purchase in 54" wide widths by however long you need it. So, if the windows are less than 54" wide you can DYI with no cost except materials.
Colbyt
Foam seems to magnify certain frequencies, It is hard and of low mass and vibrates. It may work but transforming sound to mehanical energy requires something that absorbes energy. Like a wood frame filled with a dense absorbing material covered in cloth for looks. Heavy curtains and liners can help as will good double pane glass.

Soundproof draperies are an expensive waste that wont work. Measure the wondows, go to a Home Depot or whatever, get 1/2 inch particle board cut to size, insert in the spaces, pretty up w/ drapes or whatever, it will cut back the sound by 50 pct ?

Don't limit your work to just the window. You may find that the wall ceiling etc, are letting in more noise than the window.
While this site has an org address it appears to be commercial, but it has good information, and I believe offers supplies.
http://www.soundproofing.org /
In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well. (Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)
Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block sound well.
You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially worked) you want to break the wire).
Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (acoustical fiberglass bats) will do a little.
Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the sound will also help.
Peter H wrote:

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Peter H wrote:

White shades close to window heavy drapes full width of wall Spud
As far as sound goes, I find a constant "white noise" blocks traffic sounds, barking dogs, your idiot neighbor's TV coming through the wall at 3am and other intermittent noise. One option is a small device containing a fan that is made for this purpose, as described here http://www.epinions.com/content_100213165700 They also make electronic versions of this device, which tend to cost more & contain nonsense sounds like chirping birds, babbling brooks, etc (you know, the very crap that's keeping you awake in the 1st place ;-) Equally effective & cheaper (though not as small/discrete/convenient, especially if you want to take it with you when you travel) is simply running a small box fan etc. in a corner against a wall.
Dan
Peter H wrote:

Why buy a condo in an area that isn't conducive of your live style requirements? If you need quite for sleep, perhaps near a major highway isn't the best location for you. It's doubtful you'll ever be able to 'retrofit' soundproofing to the point of making it a place in the country.

I'm at the age where I don't want the hassles of a house and a building is the perfect sol'n. Unfortunately where I live they don't build condos on the back roads though.
Peter H

Thanks to all for your valuable and informative replies. I especially like the idea of the white noise machine.
Peter H

Used "Blackout" curtains can be had at: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm
How to make a windowplug is at http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/windowplug.htm bj
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:02:35 GMT, "Peter H"

Tip: Using a email program that is not susceptable to control by hackers makes sense to me... I use Agent: It's free and avaialble from http://www.forteinc.com/agent/features.php Tip2: Using a mail sort program that you can train to sort out the spam really reduces your workload, try POPFILE, it's free too! http://popfile.sourceforge.net / Tip 3: I use a program called "SPYBOT- Search & Destroy" to eliminate popups and adware, it's free and available from: http://www.safer-networking.org / Tip 4: Is your computer HACKED???!!! Find out free at http://hackerwhacker.com /