blackout and soundproof d

Peter:

PH> Hope someone here can help with suggestions. PH> PH> I'm moving to a condo apartment that is very close to a major highway, face

PH> south-east and I'm a light sleeper. yeah.. I know.. but the thing is I thin

PH> I'll be fine as long as I can keep the bedroom reasonably quiet and dark. I PH> don't care if the bedroom windows are ever open. I know that I'll get used PH> to the noise, but really prefer a quiet sleep in a dark room if possible.

In addition to whatever other suggestions may be posted you may wish to try sleeping with a fan on. Make sure it is slightly noisy to create white noise to smooth out most of the highway noises.

As for keeping the bedroom dark there are such things as blackout drapes. Remember, the condo rules say the _exterior_ has to be white

-- a liner should solve that problem.

There are also various light-blocking blinds.

PH> I was thinking that I could pickup some thick Styrofoam insulation and just PH> paint it white, or glue some old Venetians to it and jam it into the window PH> cavity, but I'm worried about condensation on the window and potential PH> damage. I'm in the Toronto are of Canada and so the winters can be quite PH> cold and the summers hot and humid.

I'd be somewhat concerned with condensation if you sealed the window cavity (jamming it in). Perhaps styrofoam cut an inch smaller than the window, supported with «" styrofoam blocks to allow air flow. A heavy drapery over this to block light and sound.

  • I'm not crazy. I've been in a very bad mood for 30 years.
Reply to
barry martin

If he's lucky, the highway noises will be white noise, i.e. no stopping/starting, no horns. I live facing a highway and the sound is just a constant white noise. One of my friends suggested when I was considering moving here "Pretend you live near the ocean" :>

I did worry about the noise at first, and considered some of the suggestions about blocking the window, heavy drapes, etc. However I got used to the drone before I got around to working on it. Now I just worry about how guests will respond to the noise. A couple of times the road has been totally silent during a blizzard, and it seems weird!

Or a layer of foam rubber on the sill, then use the compressibility of it to hold the styrofoam (or other material) in place. That way he can easily put the styrofoam in place before he goes to sleep and remove it when he gets up.

Curly Sue