Blackish blue copper pipes?

Hi All,
I live in Northern Nevada.
Had to take a trip under the house. I noticed that all my fresh water copper pipes are covered, elbows and all, with some very dark blue compound, as if they were painted. A bit of sandpaper reveals copper.
Any one have any idea what this dark blue stuff is and what it is used for?
Many thanks, -T

Copper oxide. Or rust.
On 06/12/2012 04:31 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:

Copper oxide is light blue (cyan) and is cakey. Not iron pipes, so no rust. It has definitely been painted on -- have stroke marks.
Of interest, the plumber that went down to repair the leak in the pipe comes from three generations of plumbers and they could not figure it out either.
-T

blue on copper could be copper sulfate. copper oxide is dark brown/black.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 06/12/2012 04:39 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

The plumber did say it smelled slightly of sulfur under the house
From my chemistry days, copper sulphate is intensely blue. Can't remember about sulphide.
The plumber did say it smelled slightly of sulfur under the house
On 06/12/2012 05:21 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

intensely blue to the point of being black
Might be sulphide.
Sulphate has a middle blue color. Very intense, and I rather like the copper sulphate color.
intensely blue to the point of being black
On 6/12/2012 7:31 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:

Oxides, sulfide, carbonate, sulfate - all colored.

This is just a wild guess: Is it possible that it may have been applied by an exterminator. Many bugs drink the condensation that forms on pipes.
On 06/12/2012 05:12 PM, Molly Brown wrote:

Ah ha! I bet you are right! The plumber comes back tomorrow. I will mention it to him.
Thank you!
-T
Todd wrote the following on 6/12/2012 8:42 PM (ET):

Perhaps it was painted in an attempt to prevent the greenish colored oxidation that copper is wont to produce.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 06/12/2012 07:15 PM, willshak wrote:

But who sees it in the crawl space?
Todd wrote the following on 6/12/2012 11:39 PM (ET):

...to prevent, not necessarily to hide.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 06/12/2012 07:15 PM, willshak wrote:

But who sees it in the crawl space?
Preemptive painting?
BTW, not many people can use "wont" in a sentence, and do so correctly. Well done! I wont to see that more often, and I wont bore you with examples of using it wong.