Black Roof Mold

There is a spray sold at HD and others that is for moss on roofs . Zinc strips attached at the peak are available . Whether they kill mold ? Bleach will, but i would test an area first to see if it discolors the roof. You would mix a 10 % to 25% bleach and water and spray with a garden sprayer. Triming trees will cure it, if you can.

Reply to
mark Ransley

There are three approaches.

Mechanical, that is clean it off. Some people use power washers. I suspect it will do more damage to the roof than the mold is doing.

Chemical, Sum suggest harsh chemistry like bleach. That will kill it and it will likely also wash off on it's own after it has been bleached, but other than a weak solution I would worry about roof damage by the bleach. Then there are commercial chemicals that you spray on. I did try one of those and it worked, it killed the moss/mold and it was washing off. The product indicated it will need to be reapplied from time to time, but I will not know about that for a while as my roof was just replaced due to hail damage.

The use of copper/zinc materials are also suggested. These are metal devices that are put on the roof for long term protection.

Many roofing materials come with mold/moss resistance built in and that should last 5-15 years depending on what the add and your local conditions.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

White asphalt shingled roof is discolored with this unsightly black 'mold'. Would appreciate any recommendations from the group regarding easy to use products that I can use to clean the roof and prevent/delay the return of the mold.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Newby

I used some stuff from Depot called Jomax roof and deck cleaner. It worked great!

Reply to
ROBMURR

You mixed the Jomax with bleach if you followed their instructions. The mold comes off with just the bleach too.

Boden

ROBMURR wrote:

Reply to
EL