Black pipe or galvanized?

I need to build a set of portable volleyball net poles. I plan on using tires filled with concrete with 1 1/2" water pipe for the poles. Does concrete stick better to black pipe or galvanized? The pipe will just be embedded in the concrete; I'm not planning to weld any pieces of rebar to it.

Thanks, regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

i dont think youd have to paint the galvanized for quite a while , other than that i dont see much difference. ohh.... welding on it would be cleaner on the blackpipe. lucas

Reply to
ds549

Greetings,

Go with black pipe + a screw on floor flange to embed in the concrete for less than the cost of galvanized. If you want to get fancy you can probably even rig it so that you could unscrew the poles from the tires (bolt the floor flange to a cement filled tire instead of simply embedding it -- or embed it with bolts during the pour and grease the pole for easy removal.)

Special notes: a) often pipe is coated with oils which may adversely effect steel-cement bonding b) black pipe rusts quicker than galvanized

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

They "stick" about the same, but the black pipe will rust. Use the galv.

Reply to
Vic Dura

That's what I thought. But I may put a black coupling on the bottom (will be encased in the concrete) and weld some steel scraps to it.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I've built several similar devices (but for tetherball)

One has been in service since 1987

Use galv pipe

Embed a pipe stub inot the concrete and use a coupling to attach the pole

drill through cross holes in the pipe to accept small (1/4 or 3/8) rebar

The bond between black pipe or galv to concrete is minimal, it's the bumps that do the job.

The black pipe is more trouble than it's worth; rust / painting cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

What I would do is use a flange embedded in the cement. Screw a short nipple on it to just above the cement, and put a coupling on top after the cement dries. That way you can take it apart. I personally would use galvanized. It might cost a few bucks more, but consider having to paint the black pipe every couple years. Paint is not cheap. I'd clean the oils off the flange and nipple with a household degreaser such as Simple Green or one of those Orange cleaners. This way you wont have to fiddle around with a long pipe and try to get it straight. Just sit the tire on a board, sit the flange on the board, center it, and pour the cement.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff