Black grease in washer

Hi all,
I have read some previous threads about this problem. I wondered if anybody could hazard a guess for my model of washer, which just exuded a whole bunch of black grease into a load of sheets and bedding. Not just some spots, but big wipes of it on each piece.
It is a Kenmore front-loader, less than 6 years old. Model # 41740042990. I had repair work done on it last year--it needed the motor control board replaced. I shoulda sprung for the extended warrantee then, it seems.
Anyway, I know it's the washer, since I haven't dried the load in question yet. I'm now running a small load of towels to see if it happens again. It hasn't happened yet; I suspect it will happen during the spin cycle.
Thanks for any tips. May be time for a new washer....
Amanda
Amanda Robin wrote:

It is. Cost to fix it is almost as much. BTW, stop washing stuff in it, the grease won't come out (of clothes).
-- dadiOH ____________________________

grease. But I'm not one to throw good money after bad....

Amanda
Amanda Robin wrote:

The grease can be sporadic. The problem is a bad/worn seal between the tub and the transmission.
One would think said seal could be easily (and cheaply) replaced. I did not find that to be the case, bought a new washer. Still use the grease stained sheets :(
clipped

Amanda Robin Wrote: > Hi all,

'Black grease' is often caused by a rubber or rubber-lined hose that's deteriorating somewhere. If you run hot water into the tub and see black specks, check the water heater for flexible braided connectors. If it's only the washer, it could be the hoses that feed it, or an internal hose.
Many, if not all, water districts have switched from using Chlorine to Chloramine. Chloramine will attack certain kinds of rubber (putting chems in the water that's bad for plumbing: how's that for dumb?).
--
5p5

Rub some waterless hand cleaner into the grease (Goop). Let it sit overnight. Then wash it twice - once to get rid of the grease, once to get rid of the smell of the cleaner. This has removed any grease I've ever gotten on my clothes.
Bob