First off I have a Raised Ranch and I have noticed some mold in my
basement closets. I have since cleaned this out but I continue to get
a black greasy dust like substance all over my basement only. I know
the basement is a little humid and I will be taking the appropriate
steps to control the humidity. Is this black dust that I have been
getting all over my windows, back of the fridge, on top of my
baseboard heat and on the walls some kind of a mold or is it something
else. The gas furnace and water boiler are located in the basement in
a separate room, perhaps I need duct cleaning.
Any advice would be great as I have no idea what is causing this. I
have a tenant moving in soon and I need to fix this situation.
I found this out with Google a few days ago: If you put bleach on the black
substance and if it turns clear than its mold. This maybe a false positive
perhaps someone else in the group has another method other than taken it to
the lab for testing.
Mildew would be expected with dampness, esp in basement and bath. The
other locations seem strange to me. Do you burn a lot of candles? I
would, for sure, have the furnace and water heater checked right away.
Scrub the basement with bleach, water and detergent and dry out well,
use dehumidifier if necessary.
I've never seen mildew on windows or back of fridge, so I would be very
concerned that it is soot.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.